How is Apple's return policy? MBA related..

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Dammit Cubs, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

I'm gathering information that alot of users that bought the MBA were able to exchange their MBA for a different model whether that is more ram, bigger screen..etc etc.

Did you pay a restocking fee? I'm curious if I just go to the apple store and buy the 11inch and just see if it fits me more than the the 13 inch. The only way to know is have it for about a week. But paying a restocking fee would make me not want to do this.

Thanks in advance.

2. nidserz macrumors 6502a

nidserz

I didn't have to pay a restocking fee when I went from the base 11" to the max 11". I even completely returned it without a restocking fee because they didn't have the model I wanted in stock. I guess it truly depends, but from what I have seen, a lot of people have had luck not just now but also in the past with these kind of things... especially when it is for upgrading.

3. ender21 macrumors 6502

My best guess would be that it's at the whim of the store manager on duty, though every story manager might make an exception if you're upgrading rather than just returning for a refund.

My Apple Store told me they had at least one of every flavor in stock, so I opted for the "ultimate" edition that they had, 13". This is before I knew there was a 2.13GHz option. I brought it home, started doing my research about others' experiences online, and voila, 2.13GHz version staring at me in the face on store.apple.com.

Long story short (too late), I got my Apple Store Survey email, and I mentioned within it that I thought I was getting the highest spec'd model but was hesitant to return due to the restocking fee. Not even 2 hours later the manager on duty of my store called me up regarding my survey submission and told me to bring it on back, they'd take it, as long as it's within 14 days. They'd waive the fee, oh and I might want to wipe the drive to be safe.

Big ups to the Customer Service there. This is my second owned Apple Computer (first was the IIe, though it "belonged" to my parents, heh heh), and that definitely made an impression.

4. FAsnakes macrumors regular

It's manager discretion.. Just call up and ask to speak with a manager - and take it from there so you don't have to drive out.. If they're unwilling to do it then just call another store and start from scratch..

You'll be alright..

5. OSMac macrumors 65816

6. hcho3 macrumors 68030

It depends on the manager on duty, but they are definitely allowed to make exceptions.

7. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I had a defective iMac and I was able to return it for a full refund with no restocking fee. But it was a defective unit. I am not sure if you have opened the box and used your MacBook Air, if it has zero problems and you just want to return it, there is a return period of about 10 days but usually a 10% restocking fee for opened items.

8. fyrefly macrumors 6502a

I have a friend who's worked for Apple Retail before, and he said he's never once seen a person charged the restocking fee, and even those who they tried, if they kicked up any sort of stink, the employees would drop the fee very easily.

I have also returned a 11" MBA with no talk of a restocking fee.

If you're *really* concerned though, why not go to BestBuy instead? They have a 14-day no questions asked policy - much easier to return there.

9. GeekLawyer macrumors demi-god

GeekLawyer

The post is coming from inside the house!
    This is not true in the US. Best Buy has a 15% restocking fee on returned laptops that aren't defective.

(Unless you're a silver Reward Zone member - then it's a different story.)