Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AvMac

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2006
Singapore
Is the built in sound any good?

Do you get true digital sound output to an optical receiver?

Internal Speakers: Sound is good. Though not very loud.

Digital surround sound: Yes

xxcool

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2006
I'm sorry but how did you know it is Digital Surround Sound? Is there a setting somewhere to control that? or it is on by default?

But I do feel the digital out sound quality seems to be better than when I used to output it via Airport Express from my Dual G4 Powermac. I don't know if it has to do with the fact that it is outputting digital surround or if it's because outputing digital sound directly from the MBP is simply better than the Airport Express!? You would think that digital information should be the same, correct?

Internal Speakers: Sound is good. Though not very loud.

Digital surround sound: Yes

Mlebout

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Quebec, Canada
I'm sorry but how did you know it is Digital Surround Sound? Is there a setting somewhere to control that? or it is on by default?

But I do feel the digital out sound quality seems to be better than when I used to output it via Airport Express from my Dual G4 Powermac. I don't know if it has to do with the fact that it is outputting digital surround or if it's because outputing digital sound directly from the MBP is simply better than the Airport Express!? You would think that digital information should be the same, correct?

I've heard that output sound is better thru a standard or optical cable than Airport.

Wouldn't Apple state in their specs if their MBP's are capable of sending a 5.1 dolby digital signal?

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
The digital audio output (assuming it's not broken) will output whatever your source is. If that is Dolby 5.1, it will be 5.1. Note that some software does not support 5.1, like Quicktime. But add-ons do, and so do other software programs like DVD Player. (I hope I don't have those reversed)

I have tested this with my Mini, and it works perfectly. Including 6.1 from certain DVDs. My receiver reports what signal it is receiving from the optical line, that is my proof.

AvMac

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2006
Singapore

I connected an optical cable from the 'audio out' of my MBP to a receiver.

Whether the sound is digital surround or not depends on the source media that you are playing. I tried playing "Fight Club" DVD and the output was 5.1 surround.

Initially, I only got a stereo signal to my receiver. Then I chose 'optical digital output' option under Audio output in system preferences.

This may not be the exact or full path as I can't remember. I am at work, away from my MBP and I am just a 1 week old switcher from the PC world. Hence cannot remember all the options and screens yet.

I am not sure about quality when using airport express.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.