How is El Capitan for your Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by macbook123, Oct 2, 2015.

1. macbook123 macrumors 68000

Is it worth the update? Any performance/battery improvements?

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

There are several threads on this topic, most of them moved by moderators to the El Capitan forum.

3. lite426 macrumors regular

It's silly to move threads away to another forum section. If I'm interested specifically in El Capitan on the Macbook, I'm not going to wade through threads in that section. They should just leave all threads specific to the MacBook on this section.

4. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Believe me. I've pitched this argument as much as I can. :)

If others feel the same way, contact the site owners.

5. will0407 macrumors 6502a

I installed today after a 4 and a half hour wait to download the 6gb file! It runs well on my 1.1ghz. Definitely seems snappier and swiping between spaces is smooth. Safari is definitely faster.

6. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

Performed a fresh install on my Macbook and it feels very smooth.. I would say it's definitely a better, smoother experience coming from Yosemite.

7. tecnho macrumors 6502

8. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

They do as they please, not what we want, enough said...

Q-6

9. Queen6, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2015

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

What`s the battery life, am reading multiple reports of a significant depreciation versus 10.10.5, which makes 10.11 useless for my needs...

Q-6

10. Queen6, Oct 3, 2015

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Same for USB C accessories, although the rMB is the only current Mac with USB C, only serves to makes things harder to find, or adds more links for no purpose...

Q-6

11. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

It seems to be in the same ballpark at least - maybe not quite as good, but getting there anyhow.

12. Asthmatic Kitty macrumors member

Asthmatic Kitty

only just installed it but really pleased so far - scrolling is noticeably smoother, and safari seems a lot faster.
    i still have to leave 'reduce transparency' turned on in accessibility settings though, otherwise it's super juttery :(

13. Queen6, Oct 3, 2015

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I hope so, as some threads have reported as much as 2 hours less on battery compared to 10.10.5 which is no go for me.

Q-6

14. will0407 macrumors 6502a

Just had problems with office 2016 crashing on my other half's machine. I haven't used it properly yet on mine but I ended up re-installing yosemite on hers as it was driving her nuts.

15. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

My rMB got a lot faster. It's very smooth now. As for battery life, after an initial period, it seems it actually have gotten better! However, my battery measurement is based on the 'time remaining' in the menu, so not very accurate. But under the same conditions, it seems that number has gotten larger. I don't know if that says much.

16. andy9l macrumors 68000

It's very slightly smoother, that's all. Animations, in particular, and loading/processing of app content – e.g. photos and Safari.

It's not "a lot faster" or anything. Ultimately, it's the same hardware inside.

17. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

Same experience here. A "night and day" difference it is not. It's not as if El Capitan changed my rMB into a Mac Pro.

18. bwb macrumors member

Night and day difference here with the UI responsiveness of windows, Spaces, Mission Control, etc. I have yet to see mission control hesitate like it did before-- it was usable before, but did seem like the CPU was rendering and not GPU (don't quote me on it but I remember other posts saying that Yosemite brought CPU rendering of windows for battery savings, prior it was GPU and now back to being GPU in El Capitan).

PDF rendering seems better for me too, Preview was pretty painful to use and now it seems decent again. (But YMMV)

Prior to El Capitan I was planning on getting the next iteration of iMac. Now, I'm not so sure... USB-C adapter + older 27" HDMI monitor and Logitech speakers + Logitech bluetooth mouse, is far more comfortable/responsive than I had assumed. I have a gaming PC so this may well fulfill my Mac needs (even more so if they ever release a combo Thunderbolt + USB-C monitor so I can have Facetime built in as oppose to this generic hdmi monitor).

19. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

I'm no expert, but I believe some of the early reports on battery life under 10.11 might be suffering from all the background operations going on after a new install. Probably better to see how things are going after a couple days of use.

20. Queen6, Oct 3, 2015

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Possibly on some older systems, those with fast SSD will be done indexing etc in a mater of minutes, we will see over the coming weeks if 10.11 is less efficient on battery and or Apple can remedy. My feeling 10.11 was rushed and one again released half baked, as their are many with issues and more rolling in.

Q-6

21. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Erm no. SSDs do NOT index in a matter of minutes.

Bolded bit isn't accurate either.

22. Queen6, Oct 3, 2015

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Nor do they take days, mine are normally done in 15-20 minutes. Don't worry there is plenty of people having issue with 10.11 Apple release on a given timeline and this drives everything, why do you think 10.11.1 was released in Beta before 10.11.0 was even out to the public.

The OS X release cycle is too short these days and similar to 10.10 it will be the .3 release before the OS is stable for many. Personally I expect more of Apple, pity others don't...

Q-6

23. trueno86 macrumors newbie

Agree with many above - everything is a lot smoother. Not little smoother, a LOT smoother.

More responsive graphics = more responsive computer.

24. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

I went through the hell of Lion and Yosemite. Maybe El Capitan performing so well has made me biased.

25. thewusman macrumors regular

El Cap makes the Macbook feel like the machine it was meant to be.

Night and day difference for me versus Yosemite that it shipped with.

Metal and animations / UI smoothness (even with transparency turned on) - dare I say it - buttery smooth.

Side by side a great workflow and productivity boost.

This is what Yosemite should have been all along.

Having been through the various public betas and then a clean install of El Cap GM release - I cannot recommend it enough.

Battery life the same as before - around 7hrs with 75% brightness levels.