How is gaming under bootcamp on the mbp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Makube, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Makube macrumors member

Im getting a new SR MBP 2.4, 256mb graphics. Have anyone tried games like Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion on it? Does it run okay under bootcamp? If i wanted a real gaming experience i would have bought a new pc of course, but just wondering if its playable.

2. triddent222 macrumors regular

you'd be surprised what these little silvery machines can do ^_^. I play Oblivion on my MBP SR 2.2Ghz, and it runs FANTASTICALLY. I get around 66fps on sewers (the ones at the start of the game, hey im not that good on RPGs!), and outside it kinda drops to around 40-something. Of course, I only have 128mbs of vram, so the grass, and trees and everything else has to be loaded on the fly, so it stutters from time to time (I guess with 256mbs of VRAM that wont be an issue).

If you're going to be running these kinds of games however, i do advise you to get a cooling mat, or some other kind of refrigeration. Remember, MBPs run a bit on the hot side, and a game like Oblivion (which isn't that well coded to begin with), may cause your system to run through its paces.

cheers.

3. hotboiled macrumors member

its great ...
    i play HL2 on my 2,3 mbp hooked up to my 30" at full resolution !
    it runs smooth.

4. Igantius macrumors 65816

Worth having a look at the threads about this is the gaming forum.

5. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

Oblivion runs amazing. Everything on High and not a single hiccup.