How is iMessage in iOS 5 Beta 3?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by El3ctronics, Jul 15, 2011.

1. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

I've seen a lot of info about iMessage in beta 1 but I'm curious if there have been any improvements or changes to the service in the latest beta. Can someone also explain how group messaging works and looks? Thanks.

2. MarkCooz macrumors 6502a

From what i noticed... Beta 1, when you're in an active conversation on iMessage, when the other person is typing. You see a bubble that indicates they're typing. Now i don't see it :/ hope they do fix that.

3. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

Are notifications fixed with iMessage yet? I filed a bug report in b1. Imagine this scenario:

You are receiving an iMessage on two different devices, ie an iPad and iPhone. If I read an iMessage on iPhone, the notification for a new iMessage was not clearing automatically on the iPad. It didn't make sense to have a notification on one device of a new message if I've already read that message on another device. (Yes, both devices received the message simultaneously.) I filed the bug, they said it was either a known issue or was fixed, but I haven't tried things out yet. (And yes, that would be a complicated thing to program, but they are at least aware of it.)

4. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

I'm looking forward to iMessage. Most of the people I text have an iPhone so once everyone upgrades I'll be dropping my texting plan to 1,000 and saving $10/month. Also I think that it tells you when a message is read. Is this true?

5. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

that's still the case in beta 3, I get push notifications on both devices for apps and they never clear on the other device

6. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

It tells you when it's been delivered then it tells you when it is read. LOVE IT !!!

7. MarkCooz macrumors 6502a

I believe you have to turn on this feature on. It's not automatically On once you get everything set up. But after that the Delivery Receipts show up! :D

8. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

Yes you have to turn it on but it's still there :D

9. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

There are still so rather large issues for me. The notifications on both devices (iPhone and iPad) are really annoying. They do automatically clear for me if I'm on the iPad, but the iPhone still wakes up and displays the notification for a second and then it goes away so basically if you are having a conversation the iPhone screen stays on even though you aren't using it.

Also the conversations don't sync very well for me, and unless i'm actively using iMessage on the iPad it doesn't get notifications. For example if I send a message on the iPad then it will get the notifications for that conversation, but if I switch to the iPhone then the iPad no longer gets the notifications again, even for new messages from someone else.

The biggest problem by far is if the message isn't delivered while you have the app open, like if there is a delay, it never retries until you open the app up again. On more than a few occasions I've sent an iMessage to a friend, I quit the app while it was saying "Waiting for delivery" and they didn't get the iMessage until I opened up the app days later and it finally retried. This wouldn't be a huge issue if there was some way to choose whether you were sending a real txt or an iMessage without having to turn the whole iMessage system off, but you can't.

10. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

How's the speed of iMessage compared to regular text messaging?

11. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

Alot faster, but sometimes the message lags and it gets stuck on "Waiting for Delivery" and then I have to send it as a text message which sucks because I'm on a perfectly good Wi-Fi =/

12. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Do you have to be on wifi to use iMessage?

13. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

Nah, it works with 3G as well ;)

14. androiphone macrumors 65816

have they fixed the bug where if you send an iMessage and it failed to be delivered and you didn't select the option to send as an SMS it would send as an SMS anyway without your permission? I ask because it could turn out very expensive if you were iMessaging someone in another country.

I think the bug was, send an iMessage, it failed to deliver, then exit iMessage, then go back into Messaging.app and it would have sent it by SMS without you knowing, and it was reported in another thread.

15. MarkCooz macrumors 6502a

For anyone who wants to help me out. or answer my question

Do you guys still have the 3 dots when someone's typing through iMessage?

I don't seem to be seeing that. I've tried it with my buddy's iPhone and we're next to each other, nothing comes up..

Do i have to turn on a feature? or is this a bug for Beta 3?

16. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

It's a bug. I have it too.