How is iOS 10 performance on iPad Air 2?

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by Sethbower, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Sethbower macrumors newbie

Sethbower

How is iOS 10 Performance on the iPad Air 2? Is it fast, slow or the same as iOS 9?

2. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

I don't feel it's any worse. Still not as great as iOS 8.

3. gwhizkids macrumors 68020

gwhizkids

I think it is just fine. No lag or stutter. Apps open quickly. Heartily recommend upgrading when iOS 10 is released.

4. sparksd macrumors 6502a

Just went to the Beta on my Air 2 and really don't see any performance difference. Only issue I'm having is occasional orientation lockup requiring a reset to fix.

5. Tritto macrumors member

No issues whatsoever with my Air2 on the latest public beta. Subjectively, it seems faster than on iOS9, but I've no empirical evidence for that.

6. TurboPGT! macrumors 68000

Far more stable than iOS 9.

Source: iOS 10 is newer than iOS 9.

7. sparksd macrumors 6502a

Interesting. Because of the orientation lockups my feeling on 10 is exactly the opposite. 9 was problem free for me and I'm considering rolling back to it.

8. Tritto, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016

Tritto macrumors member

I'm not experiencing any orientation lock ups. I did get the dock corruption bug, but that was fixed in a subsequent beta.
    I don't recall any resprings or app crashes either - except one app that was built on iOS 6 and doesn't play very nice with later iOSs or 64 bit models. I'm just pleased the app still runs at all - I have my reasons for not updating it.

9. TurboPGT! macrumors 68000

Well the answer to that, when other users dont experience the same, is 1) wait for public release, or 2) take basic troubleshooting steps to resolve.

My post was mostly tounge in cheek, as I reject the notion that an older build is ever 'better' than a newer build.

10. sparksd macrumors 6502a

Others are seeing it and haven't found a common thread as to cause. I'll probably just wait for the general release.

11. TMRJIJ macrumors 68020

TMRJIJ

It would be better if members asked how the official release of iOS 10 performs on the Air 2 when is actually releases. Otherwise, there is not much point to this thread. Beta software is Beta.

12. sparksd macrumors 6502a

? That makes no sense - the entire forum is dedicated to the beta.

13. canesalato macrumors 6502a

canesalato

Similar to 9 in my opinion. Faster in some places, slower and more stuttery in others. I'd say it's very good. Typically iOS version are noticeably slower on older devices

14. saudor macrumors 6502

it actually feels a bit faster on mine.. I reckon part of it is due to the faster animations

15. gwhizkids macrumors 68020

gwhizkids

Except for the fact that it performs so well for most. I seriously doubt the release version will be worse.

16. anubis1980 macrumors regular

I havent tried the very latest beta but beta 6 i think it was, UI was awesome but games were shockingly bad.

17. TMRJIJ macrumors 68020

TMRJIJ

Your reply confuses me.
    You do know that Xenforo forums sections are editable and the title of this forum section will change the day that iOS 9 gets released, right? None of these threads just get deleted on release day.

18. sparksd macrumors 6502a

Yes, but it's about the beta today and the last few months. So have you gone in and questioned every thread on the beta as to why people are asking/answering questions? Why are you even reading this thread if it has no purpose to you?

19. Sethbower thread starter macrumors newbie

Sethbower

Hello everyone, I just updated my iPad Air 2 to iOS 10 today and I am VERY surprised of how well it's performing. Opening up apps are noticeably faster and I am not experiencing ANY lag whatsoever! I am VERY happy with the update!! :D

20. iop macrumors regular

I downgraded back to iOS 9 yesterday. I just wasn't a fan of lags in the apps overview animation. It made it seem like my iPad was lacking computing power. Hopefully, Apple will fix this laggy animation in the future, but until then I'm staying with iOS 9.

PS Opening apps most certainly is not faster on iOS 10. There is an actual test somewhere on youtube, and it shows that iOS 10 performs worse. However, it isn't really noticeable since apps take time opening on with either OS.

21. Reno Raines macrumors 6502a

Works great for me. No noticeable difference with iOS 9.

22. Mabus51 macrumors 6502a

Better than iOS 9 speedwise. Buggy as hell as any version of iOS 10 though. I'd wait for 10.1

23. pdoherty macrumors member

It's not a safe assumption that new is always better. Ask people about whether Wimdows 8 was better than Wimdows 7. Sometimes new versions are steps backwards in some respects.