iPhone How is iOS 8 on the iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Ev0d3vil, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Ev0d3vil macrumors 6502

Battery performance? Performance? Contemplating on updating but i'll be waiting for the jailbreak to arrive first.

2. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

Mostly it is fine. But it's definitely slower and animations stutter at odd places.

3. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

To me it feels more or less like 7.04 did, complete with terrible battery life. Oddly my iPod Touch 5 has better battery life- but far more low RAM crashes. I hope they get it back to where 7.1.2 was. That was a nice OS.

4. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Battery life is fine for me. Always has been except for 7.1.0. Wifi was a little sluggish at first but seems to be improving. Health and HealthKit are a little limited without a coprocessor. Overall it doesn't feel much different.

5. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

6. skyperbon macrumors regular

Works fine on my 5. Even the battery back up after updating to 8.0.3 has improved a lot. to Only problems you might face is with apps not yet updated to support iOS8.

7. Valkyre macrumors 6502

Can you please mention the cases in which animations stutter? Would like to see if we are experiencing the same things.

8. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

Weather app tap on different city instead of swiping.

Settings app scrolling at times. Then suddenly it becomes smooth.

9. Shuri macrumors 6502

Battery life is better than on 7, on my iphone at least.

Mostly its very smooth, what stutters are 3rd party keyboards sometimes (but that could be just me, cause I'm changing them a lot).. and most annoyingly QuickReply, especially on the lock screen.

10. Valkyre macrumors 6502

Weather app is stuttering on all devises, even iphone 6/6+ as well as iphone 5s from what people are saying. It has to do with software optimization.

Settings app never stutters for me, unless I am in icloud settings checking at my backup settings. It is the only place I see choppy animations when scrolling, which, again, is something that all idevices do in ios 8.

I think apple will fix these things with proper optimizations.

11. Ev0d3vil thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm thanks for the feedback guys ! I like some of the features of iOS 8, like manual exposure for the camera, i might be getting the app manual from the app store which unfortunately needs iOS 8 to be installed :mad:

12. VO2Max macrumors member

Bump.

Not much talk about iPhone 5 on ios 8. I'm still on 7.1.2 and still on the fence about upgrading. Everyone still having good experiences? I never had a problem going from ios 6 to ios 7 the day it came out.

13. imagineadam macrumors 65816

If you value performance and stability over a few new features that really don't add much stay where you are! In my experience it really isn't much different but overall it has been slower with the occasional choppy animations. The first annoying thing I noticed was a lag when springing open some apps. I would hit an app and it would not immediately spring open like in iOS 7.1.2. The icon will dim a little then about a half second will go by then the animation happens. Again this is something most people won't notice but it's there and I do! Also do you like how fast safari is for you? On 8 it is much slower to load pages! It's night and day! I wish I could go back! I'm on the 8.1 beta 2 and safari performance still isn't up to snuff. Another annoyance is the battery meter is wacky. It will hang on some percentages and drop in little chunks instead of just going down normal. This isn't due to a calibration issue or bad battery since mine is new and I've done a few full cycles and I've seen other threads on here about the same issue. Also a lag when plugging in your device of a few seconds before it shows you are charging. This is fixed so far in beta 2 however. I also expierence various graphical glitches especially after watching a full screen video. When in done with the video, app elements end up mushed in with the status bar. The status bar remains when viewing pictures within the messages app. Hmm I could go on but I think you are getting the picture! Stay where you are! If you aren't annoyed with things like I've mentioned go ahead and update. But in reality I don't know if they will ever get performance back to 7.1.2 on the 5 with 8 at all! Take care!

14. NJFP macrumors 6502

Generally ok on my iP5. Battery life is definitely shorter, I have to charge it mid day if I'm at work, late afternoon/early evening if I'm at home all day.

Some app's stutter, some are slow to open, some seem faster. Sometimes you think that the screen isn't responding to your touch at all, then it'll open. Frustrating.

I like the new features, like messages, where you aren't dumped out of the app you're in when you answer a text. SMS group texting seems faster to me.

IMO, overall iOS8 just needs to be tweeked and "cleaned up" and it'll be just fine.

15. VO2Max macrumors member

That's what I suspected. I think I will hold off and check back once 8.2 and 8.3 roll out. Right now I have have zero complaints, everything is running smoothly. Battery life is good as well, even though it is a replacement battery I put in myself a little less than a year ago.

16. Still100 macrumors regular

I really want to upgrade but think I will hold off too.

17. Act3 macrumors 68000

Good decisions on holding off. The more I use IOS 8.0.2 on my 5S, the more I dislike it. Definitely alot more buggy and laggy. Really wish I would have left 7.1.2 on my phone and would reinstall it in a heartbeat if apple allowed it. There is nothing new in IOS 8 that I use on a regular basis that makes up for the degradation in performance I have seen over 7.1.2

18. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

I'm seeing improved battery life, and same level of responsiveness in the user interface.

Overall very satisfied with 8.

19. Act3 macrumors 68000

try using an iPhone 5 running 7.1.2 in one hand and compare it to one running 8.0.2 in the other hand, try loading up mac rumors on safari

You'll notice a difference.

20. DcGamer05 macrumors regular

DcGamer05

I agree 7.12 was so much faster and more reliable than any of the 8 releases on the iPhone5. Its still a decent phone and has 1GB of memory just like all the newer phones. There really is no excuse performance is stuttery and I had no such problem when I upgraded to 7. Yeah battery life was terrible in 7.0 but the performance wasn't anywhere near as bad. Scrolling the list of cities in the weather app hiccups just to name one. There is a delay between the time you tell control center to turn on the flash light and before it actually comes on. Its ridiculous how long it takes just to activate the flashlight.

21. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

That's really odd. I haven't noticed any delay in the flashlight. I double checked to make sure, and it's definitely instantaneous on my 5.

22. DcGamer05 macrumors regular

DcGamer05

Wasn't a problem in the GM or iOS7 but 8.0.2 its definitely a delay.

23. Still100 macrumors regular

Hmmm it's always difficult to understand whether to upgrade or not, everyone has the same iPhone 5 but having different issues or no issues at all.

24. Paradoxally macrumors 68000

Not in 8.1b2.