Resolved How is iOS 9.3 Performing on the 5th Gen?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by CoastalOR, Mar 26, 2016.

1. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Has anybody updated their 5th Gen to iOS 9.3 yet? How is the performance for you compared to 8.4.1?

I am thinking about applying the update and I was wondering if it was worth it since the 5th get is barely supported by the new iOS.

TIA for any guidance. :)

2. CoastalOR thread starter macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Has nobody tried iOS 9.3 in their iPod Touch 5th Gen?
    I thought this would be the best forum to post my question since the iOS 9 forum seems to be mostly focused on iPhones & iPads.

3. iOSUser7 macrumors 6502a

iOSUser7

You better try in the iOS 9 forum, this iPod Touch forum is not as much frequented.
    As for your question, I can't really help as I don't have a 5th gen iPod Touch, sorry.

4. CoastalOR thread starter macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Thanks for the reply and suggestion. :D
    It does seem pretty quiet in this iPod Touch forum. I may try the iOS forum next week, but nobody in that forum seems to be discussing iPods. I may just go ahead and do the upgrade and see what happens.

5. rijc99 macrumors 6502a

rijc99

My iPT6 run faster on 9.3 when compared to 9.2. Numbersync, handoff, etc all work fine when tied to a 6S+.

My wife has an iPT5. It downloaded 9.3 but couldn't authenticate when trying to do the update. Apple apparently pulled 9.3 for a while. Ever since they pulled the update, her iPT5 sees 9.2.1 as the latest version with no updates available OTA. I may try to update while tethered to itunes at some point.

I was able to update my kids' iPad Minis to 9.3 before they pulled it. I definitely feel 9.3 runs faster on older hardware when compared to 9.2.x. 9.2.x was fairly laggy. 9.3 improved it somewhat. I would install 9.3 or 9.3.1 if it is available on your iPT5.

6. CoastalOR thread starter macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

rijc99, Thanks for the response & information. I think I will try the update through iTunes.

7. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

9.3.1 runs better than any of the other releases of iOS 9, but not as well as 7 or 8. If you're already on 9.x go ahead and update. It helped smooth out some animations from what I can tell on the ones we have at work. Most are still on 7.1.2 since I told them not to update but a couple are on 9, plus our iPad mini 1 and iPad 2.

8. GCHASE1995 macrumors regular

GCHASE1995

9. hanser macrumors regular

Brett, How is ios9.3 on your Older iPads?

10. CoastalOR thread starter macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

UPDATE: I applied the iOS 9.3.1 update to my iPod Touch 5th Gen tethered to my MBP using iTunes. Everything went smoothly. I really do not see that much difference in performance, but nothing broke.

Thanks for all of replies. :)

I will mark this thread Resolved.

11. Forsyth Analytics macrumors newbie

Forsyth Analytics

Yes iOS 9.3 finally fixed an issue with my iPod touch in where after 7 or so minutes the iPod would shut off randomly.
    I'm glad they fixed this issue, if only the same amount of people who buy iPhones bought iPod touches, otherwise the number of days and months from a bug in the software of a 5th generation iPod touch would get fixed, would be in hours.

If only...

12. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

9.3 and 9.3.1 feel more sluggish to me than 9.2.1 did, for some reason. But on the whole basic functions work fine, but you do feel the sluggishness. One thing that particularly feels annoyingly sluggish is music controls on the lock screen. Way slower than they are on my sixth gen touch and way slower than ex are on my fifth gen touch in the music app. They seriously need to drop A5 processors before devices with them become so inundated with software too new for them that they cease being useful at all.