How is iOS 9 on iPad Air 1?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by M.Rizk, Jun 9, 2015.

1. M.Rizk macrumors regular

M.Rizk

I currently have an iPad Air still running iOS 7.1.2. I decided to never update to iOS 8 because of how buggy it is, and how laggy it makes the iPad Air.

I hate nothing more than lag. I would rather not get a major feature but not have a laggy device.

Since I won't be able to beta test iOS 9 as else I would be forced to get back to iOS 8 I wanted to ask you guys who decided to test the beta.

Does your iPad Air on iOS 9 feel as fast as, or faster than iOS 7.1.2? If not, is it at least better than iOS 8? I know iOS 9 is still a beta, actually Dev Beta but still it offers some signs as to what the final OS would look like.

Also how is the screen in screen feature, the one you put a video in a small screen atop of your running apps. Does it lag the OS, or causes Safari to crash?

2. shadyman macrumors member

I updated a few hours ago, and I must admit it's horibble. It's lagging all the time, even opening the native apps sucks because of the lags.
    Some people claim it's doing some background works, and that's why it doesn't run fluently. Not sure tho.
    I'm scared they won't improve the performance till the official release since it would be completely useless, and I "hate" my iPad Air since iOS 8.

But nevertheless, I'm not a developer and I think the first build is only meant for them in order to improve/adjust their apps. Therefore there is still hope for improvements. I mean they told so during WWDC.

3. freikugeln macrumors newbie

freikugeln

It's still too early to tell.I'd suggest to wait for the public beta for a more accurate impression on how ios 9 will end up.

4. iOSUser7 macrumors 6502a

iOSUser7

Same than shadyman here. Extremely laggy, seriously in some area I felt like I had and iPhone 4 running iOS 7 in the hands. I already downgraded to 8.3 but really you should keep your 7.1.2 it's such a better experience than iOS 8 or 9.

5. rocklee84 macrumors newbie

rocklee84

Any feedback on iOS 9 PB on iPad Air 1 ?

6. imagineadam macrumors 6502a

Guess this answers my question about my iPad 4 which I still have on 7.1.2! It will be staying there for now. Probably forever! Back when iOS 8 first came out I was all excited but when I fired up safari I was like um what's going on? Why is it taking pages 3x as long to load?! My iPad 4 on 7.1.2 still loads pages faster than my i6 on 8.4! I don't know what they did but iOS 8 slowed a lot of stuff down! Even simple app loading still isn't better than iOS 7. (ios6 was the best) I still get hesitation and lags when first touching some apps to load. It's ridiculous. What ever they did "under the hood" messed things up. Where is Scott forestall? Sure maybe maps wasn't the greatest but at least he had the team pushing out solid performance on the standard UI!

7. Ulisescm macrumors regular

Ulisescm

It's great on my air 1, less laggy than iOS 8, I'm surprised! I it seems the Music app now works ok. Safari web browsing is a lot smoother maybe like the way it was on iOS 7 (prime iPad air performance)

8. Trickhot3102 macrumors 6502

Trickhot3102

I have the mini 2 that has the same specs as the air 1. I updated to iOS 9 public beta and it's not that bad!! VERY laggy and the battery sucks. That's really about it. The only thing that bugs me is the lag.

9. shadyman macrumors member

How does your device run smooth? Mine is totally laggy, and especially Safari is annoying and slow.

10. Ulisescm macrumors regular

Ulisescm

It's really weird, my Air was running with lag on iOS 8 but now it's ok and I'm satisfied with its performance... It improved on safari very noticeable scrolling web pages.

11. rocklee84 macrumors newbie

rocklee84

Hum .. I see the opinion is divided on Air 1, can't decide whether to install the public beta or not. I installed iOS 9 pb only on my old iPhone 4S so far..and it's the same rubbish as iOS 8, a lag fest.

12. shadyman macrumors member

Okay. Sadly, I didn't notice any performance improvements.

13. capathy21, Jul 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2015

capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Same here. Performance is good.

14. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I am sorry to hear you "HATE" your iPad Air....Can you sell it?

15. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Scott Forstall wants to come back but only with higher pay and hear Tim Cook's apologize first. :)

16. rocklee84 macrumors newbie

rocklee84

17. Ulisescm macrumors regular

Ulisescm

I'm not detecting any improvement on performance...

18. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

I use iOS 8 on my Air and do not have any lag

19. robkat macrumors member

robkat

Using latest PB on iPad Air & iPhone 5, no problems.