How is ios so radically different from the other version

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by surjavarman, Oct 22, 2013.

1. surjavarman macrumors 6502a

Please I need to settle this because I cant sleep at night but every single tech reviewer keep saying that ios7 is a game changer, radically different from before, major overhaul, complete new UI, biggest update since ios 1.

Well I just can't see it. And I asked all my other non-tech friends about it and they said the same thing. It looks different but it still works the same. You still got your grid of apps, still the same settings menu, unlock screen. Actually almost everything.

Throw in jailbreak and becomes even less of a change. I am glad that I still have jailbreak on my daily driver

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

The "looks" part is enough to justify most of those types of comments for most people, since looks is the first and often the main thing that the vast majority judges pretty much anything by.

3. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

Can't sleep?? I hope your are joking.

4. Mabus51, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013

Mabus51 macrumors 6502

It's a game changer in the sense that every thing is broken. Which for :apple: is kind of rare. iOS 7 added BSOD, random reboots, massive battery drain, broke iMessages, bluetooth often gets out of sync, Airdrop doesn't work, Playlists in the Music app play random songs from other lists. iTunes radio sometimes reboots your phone when trying to connect. Has a Babies R' Us theme, causes motion sickness for some, and it has a foggy or blurry look to it.

Todays update did fix iMessages (at least for me) and it is trying to reduce the vomiting effect it gives off when Parallax is on. :rolleyes:

5. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Yeah, too bad with a Jailbreak you're stuck with whatever version of iOS was the latest to be jailbroken whereas the rest of us keep getting updates and retain Apple's version of jailbreak tweaks.

I'm on 7.0.3 with Apple's built in jailbreak features

What are you on? 6.1.2? The version that has no support for Mfi controllers and no Air drop?

6. Mabus51 macrumors 6502

Airdrop doesn't work most of the time. No controllers have been released so they might as well not exist at this point. Jailbroken or not, 6.1.2 is better than 7.x.x any day. Only thing nice in iOS 7 is Control Center.

7. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Airdrop does in fact work

Mfi controllers are around the corner

http://9to5mac.com/2013/10/01/heres...rst-mfi-iphone-game-controller-from-logitech/

What part of 6.1.2 is better exactly? I'm expecting feature specific comparison here not "the colors and icons are better".

8. Mabus51 macrumors 6502

Airdrop rarely connects is that better? When it does connect it does work.

Around the corner meaning as in not out yet, so as I said they don't exist. Around the corner could mean sometime next year for all we know.

What part of 6.1.2 is better? Well everything. It's faster than iOS 7 even with the 5S A7 chip. It didn't reboot/respring all the time like 7 tends to. It doesn't BSOD when using iWorks. The Music app functioned properly. Music Controls on the lock screen worked. Bluetooth didn't go out of sync, iMessages worked (kinda moot as of today), Battery lasted a couple of days without recharging. It didn't cause motion sickness. Voice Over for the blind worked. It didn't cause eyestrain from the blurriness that 7 brings. Need me to go on?

9. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I asked you for a list of FEATURES that made iOS 6 better than iOS 7 and you gave me a list of BUGS?

10. surjavarman thread starter macrumors 6502a

The ability to jailbreak it which would unlock a whole slew of new features. To name a few. FakeClockUp, webscrollian, bitesms, cleverpin, sleipnizer, springtomize.

What features makes ios7 better than a jailbroken ios6? Don't say airdrop because no one uses that anyway. But if you are talking about unjailbroken ios6 than I don't know. Then again I don't know what features in ios7 are better than in ios6.

11. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

I call bs. AirDrop works 9/10 of the time. Also, pretty sure you can't get iOS 6 on a 5s if that's what your getting at. Finally everything you listed is problems that are very, very rare to reproduce.

Do you work for Samsung?

12. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

iOS 7 introduced some new features that were pretty much taken from jailbreak tweaks such as the new task switcher (Aero), Control Center (NC Settings) and some gestures like the edge swiping (Zephyr). What makes iOS 7's jailbreak-like tweaks better is that they will still be there or improved in the next update to iOS 7 whereas a jailbroken iPhone is forever stuck on the version of iOS that was jailbroken unless a new jailbreak is released (which takes months at times).

13. Phazer macrumors member

Honestly though, once the "wow factor" has gone, iOS 7 feels just the same as all the other iOS versions.
    Not that it's a bad thing, but it's not THAT different. The fact that they call it "the biggest update since the first iOS" just goes to show how little iOS has changed throughout the years.
    Personally, I don't think Apple will ever change iOS in a drastic way, there are too many people out there using iOS devices that would **** bricks if they had to learn a new OS all over again.
    And whoever called iOS 7 a total gamechanger is just ********ting