Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How is final release iOS 12 doing for you?

• It’s faster, no bugs, has improvements, I love it

Votes: 155 77.5%
  • It's slower, has bugs, not enough improvements, I hate it

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • It’s the same for me, indifferent to the improvements, neither love or hate it

Votes: 34 17.0%
  • I own an Android but came here anyway

Votes: 5 2.5%

• Total voters

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
No more XR?
Going to get the XR for my wife who is upgrading from a 6s.

BTW, I have a mildly amusing story about that, here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/will-the-xr-have-those-two-bubbles.2138758/

:)

The 7 Plus is still a good phone though, I've seen better performance improvements on it than on X but maybe that was due to iOS 11 crippling it.
Perhaps it's because the X was already faster than the 7 Plus so it's a matter of diminishing returns. I guess that's sort of like what you said, but said in a different way.

Geekbench_iOS.PNG

Reactions: 1050792

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
IPP 12.9 G2 (LTE)
Running better than 11.4.1 but not the improvement I expected.
Has some of the iOS 11 bugs still and a couple of new ones.
First time in a while that an initial release ran better than the last release or the previous.

Let's give it a 6/10 score ignoring the 2/10 from the Russian Judge.

At Sea

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2016
The Midwest, USA
It’s a bit faster on my 6S+ than its predecessor. I’ll have to wait and see about choppy screen swiping, however, as it occurred in the GM

ls1dreams

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2009
I didn't try the beta, but my immediate impression is that it feels much snappier than iOS11.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
Going to get the XR for my wife who is upgrading from a 6s.

BTW, I have a mildly amusing story about that, here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/will-the-xr-have-those-two-bubbles.2138758/

:)

Perhaps it's because the X was already faster than the 7 Plus so it's a matter of diminishing returns. I guess that's sort of like what you said, but said in a different way.

View attachment 782868
This is a great story, made my day :D
Exactly as you said the X was already fast atleast in raw performance because on iOS 11 it still had pretty sluggish animations. I miss when my 7 Plus was on iOS 10.3.3, good times :(

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Fantastic! I don’t know if it’s a placebo effect, but I swear my iPhone 8 Plus and 6th Gen iPad are running even faster and smoother than before. It’s no early to judge battery life though.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
IPP 12.9 G2 (LTE)
Running better than 11.4.1 but not the improvement I expected.
Has some of the iOS 11 bugs still and a couple of new ones.
First time in a while that an initial release ran better than the last release or the previous.

Let's give it a 6/10 score ignoring the 2/10 from the Russian Judge.
I suspect it's for the same reason some X owners aren't always reporting a huge speed boost either. Your SoCs are already fast, and probably hid some of the speed issues of iOS 11. It seems more people with older generation devices like my iPhone 7 Plus are reporting bigger speed boosts.

Then again, it might just be variability in personal impressions, as the post right above mine is from an 8 owner, and is claiming a very good speed boost. ;)

Reactions: dk001 and max2

droog

Suspended
Apr 10, 2018
No noticeable difference for Ipad mini 2 or Iphone SE. Not too surprising.

davidcmc

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2009
3 first things I’ve noticed.

1. Keyboard suggestions appear quicker.

2. Face ID on iPhone X is noticeably faster (no, it’s not placebo).

3. Keyboard appears faster when I touch address bar in Chrome.

It’s a very good update. Congrats, Apple!

Reactions: m0sher

cola79

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
I must admit on my SE with just 84% capacity and throttled mode activated iOS 12 runs lightning fast. It’s even faster than when i bought it.

Though it’s throttled it feels lightning fast and snappy. I am deeply impressed!

pete480

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
Long Island, NY
My X was fast before, but seems even faster after upgrading to iOS 12. One of the best new “features” is the ability to just swipe up to close apps in the app switcher instead of pressing and holding first.

Reactions: fongyuen

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Hmmm. I’ve noticed some stuttering in the Memories videos using Live Photos in Photos. I didn’t have this before in iOS 11. Strange because most other stuff is faster.

iPhone 7 Plus.

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2018
I have an X and it does feel a bit “snappier” a bit more responsive opening , closing of apps and navigating.

I think the speed increase is more minimal when you already have a fast phone like an X compared to an older like 5S, 6 or 7 which will feel the increase even more is what I’m seeing.

Noticed “screen time” right away. I know I’m not going to like it because it’s going to point out something I already know and going to validate my wife’s suspicions I spend too much time on my phone. ROFL.

Stacked notification are very positive. Managing them is easier, I like it. :)

Do not disturb choices, Apple News interface, 3D Touch camera options, measure app, 911 Location sharing, stocks redesign are all nice but meh.

“iBooks” has been changed to just “Books” but the interface is very nicely laid out. I started reading books a couple months ago and this is definitely a better looking interface and easier to navigate, this is a bonus for me!

Emoji’s and animoji’s are fun and I checked all those out but it is a novelty that will wear off so I don’t put much weight to it. I had fun with the new features wink & tongue capture that are now implemented as well.

The “Maps” rebuilt is going to be a huge bonus for all of us as they implement all the states, with much more detail.

I noticed songs can be searched by just lyrics. Noice!

I really am going to enjoy the alternate Face ID for the shot on my pillow. Lol.

Siri does seem to be a bit smarter but I haven’t tested it out extensively.

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/09/17/apps-ios-12-siri-shortcuts-support/

Battery advance tracking is nifty to see what is happening in further detail.

I like iOS12. Wish it had dark mode.

Oh and soon we’ll have up to 32 people on FaceTime capabilities. I can see some professors having a class lecture on an iPhone soon. LMAO.

I’ll be installing it on the other devices I have in my family, iPhone 7’s and 6S. I’ll check back and let you guys know what I feel on those devices.

All in all, I like it and the free performance boost. :apple:

Last edited:

Phonzoxd

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2013
My ipad mini 4 feels like an ipad mini 5 now, its sooo fast, and apple gave us the update we always wanted.

My gen 1 ipad pro 12.9 feels like a monster, and i dont know how its possible but my iphone 8plus is even snappier. It was already blazing fast.

All 3 of my devices benefitted hugely from this update.

Just told both my sisters with an iphone SE and an iphone 6S to update.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
Seems fine on my 7+. The camera app definitely opens faster; not sure if I notice improved speed elsewhere (and I guess I'm largely indifferent to the other "improvements" I've come across; though grouped Notifications seems nice).

Tried playing around with the Measurements app... and uhh...??

EDIT: One thing I'm not so keen on is the media player widget on the lockscreen is now pitch black (like the rest of the lockscreen), and kind of hard to see the controls... though that may be an Overcast (app) thing rather than an iOS thing?

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK
It’s absolutely annihilating my battery life on my X (have been using the GM since the keynote). On iOS 11 I’d usually get to around about 20% left just before I go to bed at about 11.30pm. Every night since installing 12 the battery has died by about 10pm with no app or usage changes.

Reactions: CreamEggBear

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2018
It’s absolutely annihilating my battery life on my X (have been using the GM since the keynote). On iOS 11 I’d usually get to around about 20% left just before I go to bed at about 11.30pm. Every night since installing 12 the battery has died by about 10pm with no app or usage changes.

Wonder if the new “screen time” or “advanced battery tracking” running in the background where it normally was not, is now wearing the battery out ?

Beta test reviewer said they got a little bit more battery life. I have to test this out tomorrow based on my normal activity where I can get through an entire day with my X as well.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
Is it running smoothly? I am thinking of upgraded I am still on iOS 10
I am wondering the same thing. . . I have stuck with iOS 10 on my 5S and iPad Mini 2. I didn't see the point of "upgrading" to iOS 11 just to have a slew of bugs.

Makayla

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2016
What are the earliest iPhone and iPad models that can run iOS 12?

iPhone 5s?
iPad Air 2?

And I am sitting tight waiting on more iPhone 8 plus feed backs before I update.

Last edited:
Reactions: TVreporter

Dualvansmommy

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2014
Downloaded the updates and it seems to be what it is. Although the new don’t disturb feature where you can customize your options doesn’t work on my don’t disturb icon? Not sure why.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.