How is IOS9 on the iPad2

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by vexorg, Jan 25, 2016.

1. vexorg macrumors 6502a

I have an older iPad2, and it's still on IOS6 following bad reports of performance in 7 and 8. How is the iPad2 on IOS9, worth updating?, or just leave it on IOS6?

2. Ganoninc macrumors newbie

Leave it on iOS6, if you want a modern iOS version, sell your iPad 2 with iOS6, you should sell it at a higher price than a ios 7/8/9 iPad 2.

iOS6 on iPad 2 is kinda collector.

3. vexorg thread starter macrumors 6502a

It still does everything we need it to do on IOS6. Will leave it until it needs a newer iPad . Just thought IOS9 might be more efficient and faster.

4. iOSUser7 macrumors 6502a

iOSUser7

On your old device, the exact opposite will happen if you upgrade. If you don't need any of the new iOS 7/8/9 features then leave it on iOS 6.

5. thisMRguy, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016

thisMRguy macrumors member

Also running io6 on ipad2, my 4s still running as new on ios6 and great as a work phone. My iphone 6 won't be seeing ios 10,

Updates are disabled in settings, but i still get ios9.2.1 notifications, each time i need to carefully click 'remind me later'.

WHERE is my cancel or disable option???

6. yoimrae macrumors newbie

yoimrae

my ipad 2 is currenly in 9.2. runs like a cheapo android gingerbread tablet. can't wait for the 9.2 jailbreak and go back to 6.1.3 and stay to that os till I upgrade.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

There is no option to disable iOS update notifications. It sounds like in your case the update has downloaded already in which case you should be able to go to manage your storage in settings and delete it from there so that it doesn't prompt you anymore, but that option only exists as of iOS 7.1, so might not be helpful in your situation.

8. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

iOS7.1.2 ran fine on the iPad2, but iOS9.2.1 is a mess. Extremely slow, and apps crash constantly. Do NOT upgrade.

9. I7guy macrumors G5

I like iOS 9 on my iPad 2, better than iOS 8, which caused some issues. I won't say it will be as fast as ios6, but has much more useful functionality.

10. saudor macrumors 6502

Agree with this. Currently mine is running 7.1.1 and it's pretty fluid. Won't be upgrading as I think it's at a nice trade off of features and speed.

11. 844957 Suspended

iOS 9.2.1 is the fastest version of ios9 on the iPad2 but it isn't close to smoothness or UI performance as iOS 6

12. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

.....Which means it isn't the fastest version.... By far.

13. I7guy macrumors G5

The question to answer is not if its fastest, it's if it performs adequately. That answer is yes. To paraphrase a quote from dr. McCoy; "iOS 6 is dead Jim", can't even FaceTime.

14. oldmacs macrumors 68040

iOS 9.2.1 performs ok, but it will definetly be slower than iOS 6. iOS 7 was slower than iOS 6, though 7.1 mainly fixed this, iOS 8 was slower than 7 and 9 is slower than 8, however it has improved a bit since 9.0. Despite numerous re-installations Safari is hopeless throwing up the "Error has occurred on this page" at a much higher rate than iOS 8.

15. vexorg thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok, ipad2 not getting updated ever by the sound of it.

I wonder if they'll ever offer a stripped down version of IOS, for those that don't want all the fancy features. A bit like they've seen with the iPhone 5se, bigger and fancier isn't always wanted.

16. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

17. Keirasplace macrumors 68040

I'm using it currently, next to me on 9.2.1; slower then shipped, but very usable.
    If you don't need any of the features of 9 and performance is the thing you want the most,
    sticking with 6 would be OK. Not sure if there are any security issues with that, if you mostly use it on your home net, it wouldn't be a problem anyway.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 31, 2016 ---
    Didn't someone find a hack that enabled to remove the update from the phone? I thought I heard about it back then.