How is iPhone 3G performance on 4.2?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by BornToMac, Dec 6, 2010.

1. BornToMac macrumors 6502a

BornToMac

I know 4.0 almost made the iPhone 3G unusable but heard that later updates (4.1 and 4.2) improved this. If you have a 3G, what are your thoughts? My wife has a 3G on 3.1.2 which is jailbroken. Do you guys think she would get better performance (i.e. speed r reduced lag) by updating to 4.2 and abandoning the jailbreak, moving to a legit iOS3.x.x, or jailbreaking @ 4.1.2?

2. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I noticed no performance difference between 4.1 and 4.2.1. 3.x.x is faster than both but it lacks features so you have to decide if the extra features are worth the performance sacrifice.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

For a 3G I'd stay with 3.1.3
    And even that feels slow to me now that I got used to an i4.

4. BornToMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

BornToMac

she has a jailbroken 3.1.2 and says she doesn't care about the jailbreak but I am pretty sure she would be bummed if she had to go back to staring at a black background or updating to the slower 4.X.X. Sucks...

5. Junkboxy, Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010

Junkboxy macrumors member

I forget why I wanted to upgrade to 4.0, but when it came out, I went ahead and pwned it leaving multitasking un-enabled. Result: I was frustrated that my iPhone was now much slower in most (if not all) facets of navigating the GUI. Conclusion: disappointing.

I believe I had heard that sluggish 3G performance was addressed in 4.1, so I was eager to adopt it. This time, I chose to enable the multitasking during Pwnage. Good news = the GUI isn't sluggish any more. The real news is bad news: Battery usage went completely postal. It won't last a full day in standby. You'd think that things like Wifi being enabled, or CPU-sapping apps running in the background might be culprits here, but no. In bare-bones, small-footprint mode, the battery drains like a runaway train. Conclusion: disappointing.

So there are my experiences with pwning two of the 4-point IPSWs on the 3G. Each time I regretted the outcome. I'm biding some time to see what else might come out of the 4.2 situation. Eventually I'll upgrade to a 4.2 that doesn't require that cockamamie, GPS futzing, iPad baseband workaround --- or downgrade to the 3.0 that was working --- or perform a fix centered on 4.1.

Can any pwners out there relay experience on how a 3G on 4.1 with multitasking left un-enabled is working?

6. Missjenna macrumors 6502a

Missjenna

I just updated my iphone 3g to 4.1 with multitasking disabled and it really isn't much different from ios3. It is a tiny bit slower, but i found that my battery performance is actually a bit better.