How is iPhone4 outside in sunlight ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Darthdingo, May 13, 2011.

1. Darthdingo, May 13, 2011
    Last edited: May 13, 2011

Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

Contemplating on going back to Apple and getting the iPhone4, picked up the new Sprint Nexus-S last weekend, and it sucks outside, and the battery life was supposed to be much better than my EVO 4G, nope.

Main thing I want to know is, how is the iPhone4 screen outside in the sunlight ? My EVO was just ok, the Nexus very difficult to see. And the battery life blows on both phones. My EVO is rooted with a good ROM, much better battery life, but that's not saying much when default 3G talk time is only 4hours, my rooted EVO would get approx 5 - 7 hours on a business day, with lots of calls and texts, the Nexus-S on a business day was better, maybe 7 - 9 hours. My Wife has the Nexus-S, and barely uses it, and after a full work day, comes home with 65% battery life still, that is after it's been unplugged for 12 hours or so, which is pretty good.

On a business day, sometimes I can make or take 50 calls, and like 50 texts. And e-mail a dozen times, and surf web good amount. And some days, use Navigation once or twice in the day. Can the iPhone4 handle that much, and still be go with no charging ?

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It's great, actually.

You might have to go in and manually disable auto-brightness on the brightest days so that you can set it at 100% brightness and have it stick there. But that's an extreme example.

I've had to do that on vacation in the Florida sun. But here in DC I'm fine leaving it on 40% with auto-brightness enabled. It's always been easy to see outside.

3. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

It's a superb screen inside and in the outdoors, you wont be disappointed

4. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Would definitely have to jailbreak to make it customizable like my EVO, and I think any new iPhone4 out of the box can be jailbreaked right ? 4.3.3 on ATT and 4.2.8 on Verizon both have untethered jailbreaks out ?

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

as others said i set mine to about 40-50% brightness and autobrightness Enabled

6. drummr macrumors regular

The iPhone 4 screen is great in sunlight IMO. A few days ago I was outside on what had to be the brightest day ever, and could see fine with the brightness at 100%. Interesting thing I noticed though, in REALLY bright sunlight, you can see a faint grid on the screen from the touch screen.

7. iFiend macrumors 65816

When in bright light (especially sunlight) that is what auto-brightness does...jack it all the way up.

8. Hans Brix macrumors 6502

I'd prefer if mine were a little brighter in sunlight.

9. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

not that that matters much, its impossible to see anyway

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yes, but sometimes you have to wait for it for a few seconds. This is why I turn it off on vacation. I'm ALWAYS going to want it to be on super-bright out there so I just leave it on high so I don't ever have to wait for it.

In normal day-to-day stuff the auto works just fine.

11. techluvr macrumors regular

Best mobile screen I have ever seen, inside or out.

12. Scoobtay macrumors newbie

Going from a droid 2 to my iPhone, the screen is so much better on my iPhone indoors and out. Its surprisingly easy to see outside, even in bright Arizona days.

13. Bobbytoad macrumors member

Bobbytoad

When used with a power support anti glare screen protector it's great outdoors. Never tried it to know but if it's anything like an iPad then I can't imagine it being usable

14. charliehustle macrumors 6502

screen is nice outdoor, and the battery is great. IMO

15. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I've never had any problems with the screen outside in sunlight. After seeing a Nexus One under direct sunlight, I'm very thankful.

16. GP_1 macrumors regular

It works great outside IMO. just put it on auto brightness.