How is iPlus 2.0b vs. Ziphone 2.5c?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by moviecouple, Mar 15, 2008.

1. moviecouple macrumors regular

Just curious how the two match up and what people think?

2. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

well iplus downgrades the bootloader but for any reason that you need the 4.6 bootloader iplus will put it back while ziphone will only downgrade the bootloader and your still might be in trouble for future updates or if you need to go to the genius bar.

3. Yagyu Jubei macrumors newbie

whats so important about bootloader?

4. McGiord, Mar 15, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

As I understand it's the piece of software that handles something when the iPhone boots, please correct me if I'm wrong.

If you have the wrong version you can't unlock it to use SIMs from non official carriers, and if you need to bring your phone back to apple for warranty/service they may not cover it.

So if you are able to return your iPhone to its original condition you'll be more safe and out of trouble down the road.
    ________
    Ford EcoSport picture

5. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

so would iplus be safer and better than Ziphone?

6. igglepuff macrumors regular

yea, iplus 'downgrades' to 3.9FBL or somthing (fbl or bbl, fake boot laoder or blank, i forget what its called). the wa iplus does it(which i dont know tech. details on) is it downgrades to the blank/fake one that passes the security checks or something like that. As a result it is upgradable again to 4.6. it's basically a patched verison of the 4.6 or 3.9 Bl. If you are on the real 3.9 then you cannot go back up to 4.6 (ie downgraded w ziphone and then use iplus). You're stuck on 3.9. you can return to unpatched 3.9 to my understanding but not go back up again.
    basicall people on teh real 3.9 are still stuck on 3.9.

i'd go iplus all the way, if needed to use it (on 3.9 w/ ipsf stle unlock)

7. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

So, iPlus give the the ability to re-up the BB... but how do you actually go back to 2.6? I have seen people talk about it, but no actual app to do so...

8. cdd543 macrumors 6502

cdd543

it's on another forum. Just google iplus 2.0b and you will find it. I have used them both and only functional difference for me is that locate me works with iplus, but it didn't on ziphone 2.5c. I had to start 3rd party app to get it to run. It works fine after iplus.

9. cjsparkey macrumors newbie

I just got a iPhone last week and from 1.1.4 used ziphone to unlock it to use my work O2 sim, all went well with no side effects. My question is this will being downgraded to 3.9 stop me updating to future iPhone updates, 2.0? etc.
    Is there any way to restore my iPhone to 4.6 and do I need to?

10. moviecouple thread starter macrumors regular

11. idonotliketostu macrumors 6502

Wouldn't ziphone's refurb button allow you to restore the bootloader to is original state?

12. cjsparkey macrumors newbie

Well thats what I thought until I read the comments about no going back from 3.9 once downgraded, not sure if I should be worried or not.

13. hookem12387 macrumors 6502

So it does sound like iplus is better, and just as easy from googling.

14. cadujr macrumors newbie

It doesn't matter

Guys,
    Who cares?
    EVERYBODY that was a 1.1.1 or less OOB iphone has the 3.9bl do you really think that apple will tell like 3000000 people that their phone can not be upgraded anymore?
    So 4.6 , 3.9 or whatever doesn't really matter....
    By the way i always see people saying that 3.9 fake/blank/whatever is upgradable but never saw anyone saying HOW to do it.
    This is just discussions about who stole software from who...
    as long this working....