How is it possible that autocorrect continues to get worse??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TH55, Oct 4, 2014.

1. TH55 macrumors 68030

There was a noticable drop in quality with iOS 7, it stopped recognizing extremely common words that were one letter off and autocorrecting words that weren't misspelled. Now on my 6 it is autocorrecting correctly spelled words to words that don't exist!!!

For example, in a text it just autocorrected moron to morom. Even worse it is doing this and making them into words that aren't even phonetically mistakable for English words with multiple consecutive consonants. It did this before with words I had misspelled where it store the misspelled word and autocorrected to that. But I literally just opened the 6 and started using it last night so there should be no learned behavior yet but it is still autocorrecting to strange obviously misspelled words that don't exist. For example it will take a word like opinion and autocorrect it to opibion. So frustrated right now.

2. tl01 macrumors 65816

I think auto correct works pretty darn well. I haven't noticed a decrease in performance.

3. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

Did you restore as new and not from your backup? If you're coming from a backup, consider resetting the keyboard dictionary. You may have to "reteach" your phone some words that you commonly use, but it doesn't sound like it's all that useful for you now anyways.

4. tonyy macrumors 6502a

tonyy

I have to agree with the OP on this. Sometimes ios8 comes up with some goofy words that aren't even in existence.

I figured it's still "learning" my typing input.

5. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Works great for me most of the time as well.

A sound suggestion.

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

I have not had an issues like on iOS 6 or 7, I was on a samsung galaxy s3 for a few years so apple adding the predictive word reminded me of my samsung so I liked that they added that.

I also try to avoid using slang in my texts to avoid spell checkers or auto correctors from making me go crazy

7. cube macrumors G5

8. BlueSpruce macrumors member

BlueSpruce

I'm having issues with words that use an apostrophe.
    Ie: It' shaving <---- was- it's having.

9. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

I restored from backup. Is this where I'm getting these nonsense words? If so how is the person below me getting them too?

Also, why are my shortcuts not showing up?

10. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

How is it possible that autocorrect continues to get worse??

Yep, that's probably where the nonsense words are coming from. I highly doubt Apple has those words built in to iOS, so that's the only explanation.

As for why you and others may have that problem, I don't know. Maybe making the same typo too many times actually causes autocorrect to assume you meant to type that? Just a shot in the dark, I'm probably wrong.

As for the shortcuts not showing up, are they still listed in the settings app?

11. cynics macrumors G4

Reset the user dictionary. It's autocorrecting to your previous misspellings.

For example when I type moron incorrectly like you did it just got changed to the correct spelling. However if I didn't let it autocorrect it would assume I'm trying to type that and eventually albeit annoying change it to the incorrect spelling.

Resetting the user dictionary can help tremendously.

12. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Then why are only the nonsense words showing up and not the dozens of unique last names and slang words it had learned from me?

13. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

I honestly have no idea. Just try to reset the dictionary settings and see if that fixes it.

14. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

I did have issues with iOS 7, but since I started using iOS 8 on my 6+, autocorrect has been much better. I did not restore from backup, so that's probably why.

15. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

I reset the dictionary, seems to have helped marginally.

On another note, why is Safari not auto filling saved passwords? It has the password and username listed in settings.