How is it that I must format my HDD to NTFS?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DavidChavez, Aug 13, 2010.

1. DavidChavez macrumors member

I got a Western 250GB, and I want to use it for backup some data and save some space on my MacBook. The disk is already in use, my dad putted like 100GB of its own files, and as you know he uses Windows.

I tough that if the HDD wasn’t NTFS I only couldn’t use TimeMachine, but know I know I cant modify the files, just read them. If I want to use my disk I have to erase all the data. ¿But there’s some way to just put the backup files on the disk? I wont use Time Machine or similar, I just want to put some files in.

There’s some program that can do that for me? And someone can explain me all this formats thing?

(PD: I don’t have nothing against Apple or Microsoft, and I know companies won’t do that because they always try to get rid of our money, but I think they MUST make a STANDARD. If they would do that I wouldn’t be here, we would be happier consumers, and I would be a fanboy -well, I’m not sure about that :p-)

2. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Well the format story goes:

Macs can Read but not Write to NTFS

Windows can't Read or Write to HFS at all by itself

Both can Read and Write to FAT32 with the only issue being that FAT32 is limited to a max (individual) file size of 4GB

So, you can either reformat the whole drive to FAT32, this way both of you are able to use what space remains on the drive however things like Time Machine won't run.

Or use some software that can partition a drive without erasing anything and split the drive 50/50 or what ever amount of space you will require from then on. Each side is then formatted in HFS and NTFS and both will have a fully compatible storage for their own.

3. mrgstiffler macrumors member

mrgstiffler

4. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

OK forgive me if this is stupid question, BUT using time machine ONLY backs up my MAC partition correct? Or does it back up the entire HD - meaning both MAC and WINDOWS partitions?

5. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Correct, Time Machine only backs up your Mac to the Mac Partition. Windows isn't in the picture from what Time Machine will see.

6. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

thank you!

another quick question - I'm about to install windows 7 via bootcamp - how should I format my windows partition, ntfs or fat?

i understand the differences. and I'm simply using Windows 7 for Quickbooks. That's the only program I intend on installing and using on that partition. I cannot see any reason I would need to write any info on the windows partition from the MAC side.

Also, I'm making my partition about 25GB.

I'm leaning toward NTFS - would you guys agree this is the way to go?

7. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

If I recall with Windows 7 you can only install on NTFS, any FAT32 drive needs to be formatted to NTFS before the install will let you go further.

So on that note your choice of NTFS would be a good one :D

8. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

thank you

9. DavidChavez thread starter macrumors member

I still don't understand...

So, how can I make a partition to the disk without losing the data?

And I can put the FAT32 on the HDD without losing the data?

10. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Since the drive currently is formatted in NTFS you'll most likely need a Windows solution.

Something like Partition Magic or Partition Logic, Google is your friend here unless someone else knows of the software. If it was on the Mac the built in Disk Utility have that functionality, just not with any NTFS.

11. DavidChavez thread starter macrumors member

OK, but i'll loose my data?

12. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

With a Windows Solution you shouldn't.

To be honest when I'm in this kind of situation it's usually easier for me to backup the data, reformat adding partitions and then adding the data back. Either way it's usually a good idea to do a back up anyway when using one of these Magic Partition packages since anything could go wrong if your not careful.

13. DavidChavez thread starter macrumors member

Thanks…

Well, thanks Darwin for all your answers.
    Now I found probably the most rudimentary solution.
    I'm putting some big files onto a USB memory, connecting to the Windows machine and the put the files onto de HDD.
    I now, it's kinda stupid but I don't want to expose all the data stored on the disck for now. I'll wait 'till I get a WD Scorpio Blue 500GB.
    But it's not the most save solution, now I've deleted accidentally a few episodes of Systm in HD. I'm planning to get them back with my new HDD with me :)

14. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

Check out NTFS-3G. It's a driver for OS X that will allow writes for NTFS formatted drives. I use it so that I can avoid having to use FAT32 to hold data that is frequently shared between Windows and Mac boxes. FAT32's 4gb file size limit kills me.

Anyway, here's the link. It's free, and available on many linux distros as well.
    http://www.tuxera.com/community/ntfs-3g-download/