How is iTunes 10 the "next major release"?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by C64, Sep 3, 2010.

1. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

How can Steve stand on stage and talk about the "next major release" of iTunes, while there were only some minor updates?

1. They were only at 9.2.1
    What gives?

2. Minor updates
    - Ping tab (sure, the Ping service is new, but it's just another tab)
    - Different album view
    - Some layout tweaks (grey icons, bars, traffic light buttons)
    - "A simpler way to sync" (how is any of this new?)

3. It's still not 64bit/Cocoa
    Seriously?!

4. Related changes
    - TV show rentals are an iTunes Store update, not much to do with the app
    - AirTunes to AirPlay; more to do with the Apple TV, not iTunes per se

If anything, iTunes 10 should've been a completely new app. Rewritten, maybe renamed (just like AirTunes became AirPlay; although iPlay probably isn't a smart idea), and things like.. you know.. actually new functionality! There is so much lacking in this application, but all they do is mess around with the UI a bit and update a few existing features. Slapping a downright ugly icon on it doesn't make it new or 10-milestone-worthy either.

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

3. MisturSrs macrumors newbie

Psst hey.... You mad bro?

But seriously while a 64bit Cocoa version would be sexy, we didn't get it. Am I a little miffed? Yeah, but I'm not going to smash a bro like you seem to wanna. iTunes is opening a few seconds faster which is enough for me, and I like the few visual tweaks to the UI they've made. The buttons in mini mode look much nicer to say the least.

4. C64 thread starter macrumors 65816

C64

Don't you agree that going from 9.2 to 10 suggests something more than these minor things? Why waste version "10" on this?

5. csjo00 macrumors regular

They hoped and assumed that Ping would be something greater than what it is...

I'm finding it quite annoying. Seems as if I'm only one of 100 people using it.
    Not to mention the Facebook integration fell through..

6. C64 thread starter macrumors 65816

C64

Smash a bro? You play too much Nintendo.

I'm just confused how this constitutes as "major", that's all.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I learned from Sesame Street that it is just a number... like 2 or 14

8. MisturSrs macrumors newbie

No I read too many K.C Green comics.
    [​IMG]

And while I enjoy Apple products, keep in mind words like MAJOR and MAGICAL are common buzzwords. To the consumer, the logo change alone is MAJOR (also to the investors who are watching them change the logo for a well established multimillion dollar product)

Just relax B)

9. C64 thread starter macrumors 65816

C64

Keeping it inside iTunes will never make it a big hit for a broad audience. I'm sure they realize that. In the end Ping is just a way for Apple to openly collect tons of information on listening/viewing/purchasing habits, cloaked as a 'great social media network'.

10. C64 thread starter macrumors 65816

C64

Sure, but it's backward. What will the release be that will actually be rewritten in 64bit/Cocoa? 10.3.2? Thát would be a real update, but now the magical "10" number has already been wasted.

I don't care that it is. I do care that if thís was enough for them to jump to version 10, how long are we going to have to wait until we really see something new/updated? Because going from 9.2 to 10 implies a big change, going from 10.0 to 10.whatever does not.

11. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

It's a "major release" because Apple say it is. It really is as simple as that.

12. Wee Beastie macrumors regular

Off-topic here, but I'm going to have to check out K.C. Green. I haven't heard of him before. :)

13. MisturSrs macrumors newbie

He is an awesome cartoonist, an inspiration to my own art!

14. mac2x macrumors 65816

Overall, I'm satisfied with iTunes 10. Especially after I restored a proper Mac GUI and the old icon. :D

15. Salacion macrumors 6502a

I don't see what's so special about him.

16. C64 thread starter macrumors 65816

C64

Sesame Street should cover software versioning ;)

17. manu chao macrumors 603

Apple went from version 5 to version 6 in less than one months. Apple has made version number changes for much less.

And the syncing performance (the only area where iTunes was extremely slow and always beachballed on me) is noticeably better (despite not being Cocoa or 64 bit).

18. anthorumor macrumors 6502a

Moving from iTunes version9-10 is big, why? Because people generally love the transition from single to double digits.
    That and it shares a resemblance from another major transition that actually was major.. OS 9 to 10.

iTunes 9 to 10 with the only major feature being 'Ping'? Geez Steve is clearly losing his touch with computers and software.

Oh and dont forget a new icon = next revision number

19. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

I agree it's not a big revision. Ping? Big whoop. I don't use it and will not use it. It's all about marketing.. iTunes 10 has a bigger appeal than say iTunes 9.3

20. Zenithal macrumors 68040

It's how the business world works. It may not seem fair or right in your eyes, but companies rarely care what you think of their actions.

21. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

If Apple had rewritten iTunes 10, they would have had no choice but to leave the ppc people behind. Now I agree it's not what everyone hoped, but it's good for me. Ping needs more time, but Apple should study other media networks and learn from them or someone else will beat them to it.