How is latest MS Office on OS X?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by shankar2, Jun 28, 2016.

1. shankar2 macrumors 6502

Hi how is the latest ms office app on os X El Capitan? I heard it's slow and buggy still!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It works well for me

I have no issues with stability or performance.

3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Still extremely poor when working with Dragon Dictate 5. Can freeze/crash if you have a lot of additional fonts and you're trying to load one in.

Except for the above circumstances, it's much smoother than when introduced, and doesn't have any real stability issues.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Pretty good in my experience but I do little I the way of excel,and my word processing is not particularly complicated.

5. MRxROBOT macrumors 6502

MRxROBOT

It's quit on me a few times, in turn I've made sure to set autosave to every 5 mins. Mostly a positive experience, not flawless yet.

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Its worked fine for me and have had no issues to complain about.

7. tjwilliams25 macrumors 6502

I've been using it since the Insider beta dropped, and it's been working great. It's a vast improvement over the past Mac offerings from Microsoft.

8. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

for me it is very slow to load but once loaded it runs fine

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

What about Outlook
    Weren't there significant problems with this?

10. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I think early on with the latest version release there were, but they're mostly ironed out as far as I know. I use Outlook for work and I've not experienced any problems with it.

11. Patdt13 macrumors 6502

I only use Word and excel. Both have been fine. I have the latest version update.

12. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Defocusing from El Capitan: a few months ago I had such a dreadful experience with the most recent Outlook for OS X, I swore to never again let it near my data. I removed the app.

13. Restlesslegs macrumors member

Restlesslegs

Don't use Outlook but Powerpoint on a daily base, Word and Excel (for simple tasks) almost daily on my iMac retina and MB pro - and I think Office is an excellent piece of software, reliable and reasonably fast. The pace Microsoft is pushing out software updates is beyond anything Apple has ever delivered (says the guy who never owned a Windows machine over the last 30 years)

14. MLinneer macrumors regular

MLinneer

15. JSC macrumors member

It works well reliably for me after the latest update. My only issue is Outlook still is missing some helpful features that are in the Winows version (I have in Parallels for use with Access with Windows 10):
    1. No follow up calendar pop up. You need to look at a separate calendar app to identify the desired date first.
    2. No full and easy access to folders when filing an email.
    3. No ability to see if an email has been opened.
    Having said the above, Office 2016 for Mac is still the best native Mac solution. I prefer Mac OS to Windows 10 using both regularly.

16. jahala macrumors regular

17. Miguel Cunha macrumors 6502

Miguel Cunha

The 2016 edition Is the best ever on the Mac platform.
    Works very well. Good performance, stability and compatibility.
    Outlook supports full screen.
    Finally it's localised in my native language.

18. stjames70 macrumors member

I do Office 365 for small business, and it is great. Primarily use Excel, some Word, and Outlook for personal stuff.

The best feature for our office is that our primary spreadsheets are synchronized on One Drive for business every time they are modified on whatever device that particular spreadsheet is being worked on. (Only one instance of the spreadsheet can be modified -- other devices that access the spreadsheet afterwards are read-only)

It is nice to be able to start the spreadsheet on a Mac, and then finish it either on a PC or even an iPad if necessary.

19. crapforks macrumors newbie

crapforks

I'm not a heavy user, but I use Outlook as my main mail app, Excel for simple spreadsheets and invoices, and Word for simple info and tech sheets (sales). Excel works perfectly although its a bit like having a giant truck to carry groceries; its way more powerful than I need. Word seems to work flawlessly, I haven't really had to use Word since college before this, and it works at least as well as I remember, probably better. Outlook is sort of a disappointment for me. I would love to sync calendars and reminders with all devices easily through the app(s), but I haven't figured that out yet. I also have an issue with Outlook sometimes not wanting to stay connected to my exchange server, but that isn't necessarily the fault of the program.
    People who use more of the power thats offered in these apps are probably better suited to go into detail, but Office meets or exceeds my expectations/need as a light user. If i could get Excel to do a little more, its 10/10.

20. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

As far as I can tell: Outlook (15.25) is – like previous versions of Outlook for Mac, and Entourage – without proper support for CalDAV, iCalendar, CardDAV and so on.

21. peter.jonsson1963 macrumors newbie

peter.jonsson1963

what about os x yosemite ? any difference to be expected with regards to stability ?

22. saudor macrumors 6502

really? Im finding it suck my battery like hell. Scrolling through a word document = 100-150% CPU usage. It also shows up under the "significant power usage list"

The same document scrolling on Word 2011 is 20-30%. Excel is a little better but still uses more CPU for doing the same tasks.

23. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

I see that you installed Sierra. If your findings were with that pre-release quality software, then – particularly for discussion of CPU usage – it may be better to shift to the the given sub-forum (and give feedback to Apple).

24. PhoenixDown macrumors regular

Not to highjack the thread, but I am currently using Office 2010 for Windows via Parallels. Its good but a little quirky trying to use certain keyboard short cuts. I am wondering if its worth upgrading to an Office 365 subscription and downloading the latest office for MAC. Anyone have any experience between the two scenarios?

25. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Heavy user here of both Word and Excel. No problems whatsoever. Makes life within a Windows world tolerable.