How is Lion working out for you??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hawk1410, Jul 23, 2011.

1. hawk1410 macrumors 6502

I know there already is a thread regarding whether you are satisfied with Lion, but this is more of an issues thread. I saw a few threads where people said their MBP was getting too hot or the battery life decreased after the upgrade. Just wanted to see how many people are having a issue of some kind after the upgrade. Do reply if it has been working perfectly.

2. PowerGamerX macrumors 6502a

PowerGamerX

I've had no issues regarding battery life or bugs with Lion. I've seen the overlapping window Mission Control problem once, and a program had a memory leak. But this was when I first installed the GM and I've had no issues since then. My MacBook Pro doesn't appear to run any hotter or slower. Checking Activity Monitor my CPU and ram usage seems perfectly normal as well.

No complaints from me. :)

3. DaveOP macrumors 6502a

It's running really wonderfully for me. I am impressed by all of the new gestures, I was a first time mac user about 2 months ago when I bought my MBP, and I think Lion is more intuitive than SL was, coming from someone who had had 2 iPad's and 5 iPhones in the past. It seems to be running perfectly smooth and battery life seems just fine. Full scream Safari with gestures has made me leave Chrome behind.....it's just that much better.

4. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Not sure if battery is really decreasing or just not reporting 7 hours any more, but yeah, I guess there is a drop.

Another annoyance I found is that Lion is slow to find the wifi network waking from sleep. SL never had an issue with this but Lion is only 50% at reconnecting successfully from sleep. (Noticed mostly when TimeMachine is still in the middle of a backup from the last session.)

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

Seems a bit warmer under use, but could be indexing in spotlight or something.

No issues with wifi on wakeup after sleep.

6. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

Lucky, Thats my issue, and only found issue on my UniMBP.

7. Sam2lucky13 macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

Ive already uninstalled it...applications showing up in additional desktops with no menu bars, only half of windows are showing up at times. ...freezing. I tried both a fresh install from a lion burned disc, and added on top of sl.

Ill give it a few months but other than air drop its all cosmetics for me anyway.

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

I'm going to wait and see if they issue an update for it. I only upgraded one of four macs, and the upgrade was on a "spare" MBP.

Only thing I did was change the new scroll option to go back to what I'm used to.

9. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

Battery life decreased by about an hour, and it took me a while to get used to the new multi-touch trackpad features. I love the new trackpad stuff now though. I'm hoping they release an update to fix battery issues

Oh, I almost forgot, my MBP is definitely warmer under lion versus sl by about 5-7 degrees C

10. ABadSanta macrumors regular

Battery life decreased, computer would get a lot hotter when watching youtube, and one time itunes wouldn't close and the computer wouldn't shut down.

Went to the genius bar yesterday evening and had them do a fresh, clean install of Lion. Feels better now, although I still think my battery life decreased.

I think it's simply that things aren't optimized with Lion yet. CNET did a performance test with Photoshop and video rendering, and it was almost always a little bit better on Snow Leopard, since those programs are currently optimized for Snow Leopard and not Lion. Hopefully we will see things being designed for Lion in the future.

Overall, I like the full screen apps, the new Mail app, the new Andromeda galaxy wallpaper (haha), and the new login screen.

Lion is definitely not a new OS. More of an update to Snow Leopard (at least that's what it feels like). Not sure if I think it's worth paying for, but if your computer qualifies for the Up-To-Date program, it's not a bad idea.

11. Typswif2fingers macrumors 6502

This.

12. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Things seem a bit quicker and my battery life definetely has improved. But then again, I desperately needed to reinstall OS X before as things were slowing down quite a bit. So I think the computer was working too hard and killing the battery. I don't know. Only issue is that some error message that says "There was a problem connecting to the server" keeps popping up every half hour. I just hit enter and it goes away. No clue what its for.

13. zflauaus macrumors 65816

Battery life is cut to 3.5 hours on integrated graphics while running Safari and iTunes. Not thrilled with this as I was getting 7-8 hours on Snow Leopard.

14. fel10 macrumors 65816

fel10

I was wondering how smooth the animation is. Is it smooth, or does it get kind of choppy. I went to the Apple store 2 days ago and tried Lion on a MBA, and the animation was kind of choppy.

15. movieboy23 macrumors regular

No major problems here. OS feels snappier and I like some of the aesthetic changes such as the removal of the scroll bars and full-screen mode. Restore feature is nice, but I haven't really needed it yet. Mission Control is nice, but IMHO it's just a small extension of Expose.

Like other posters, don't really care for Launchpad or the many additional gestures added. I also don't like the new default, which I've since changed, of inverse scrolling. It works on my iPhone and iPad as I'm actually touching the screen with my content. If I'm using a trackpad, then my brain registers that disconnect and wants to scroll the way I've been scrolling for years. Way to screw with our neural wiring, Apple.

Application support-wise, haven't had a chance to test all my stuff, but I'm sure some of it is at least broken on Lion. Will report when I know for sure.

16. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Love it! The first night, it was a little unstable, but after a reboot it worked great. I have also done a clean install, just to see if I could and how it would work...It's worked great! Very happy with it. Love being able to DL from the app store...saves the hassle of going out to buy it.

17. eschroeder12, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011

eschroeder12 macrumors newbie

Sparse Image Folder problem?

I have a password protected folder that I was using and now after my Lion install, I can no longer move files into it or files out of it! Any help?

18. scrapple macrumors regular

scrapple

like my windows machines, I wait for Lion SP1 to come out then I get it..
    seems like to many bugs right now

19. old-wiz macrumors G3

I only upgraded one MBP and that was a spare machine from 2009. I'm holding off on 3 other systems. I'll try 10.7.1 on one, but not the others.

20. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

I'm having an issue where after a while (sometimes hours sometimes minutes after a startup), the screen will go black but any audio that is playing remains, and the keyboard remains lit. It requires a forced restart to work again