iPad mini How is MS Skydrive on iPad Mini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SMDBill, Apr 25, 2013.

1. SMDBill macrumors 6502

I used to own an iPad2 but sold it because it wasn't as functional at the time as a laptop or netbook. Today, I believe the increase in apps and maybe my own knowledge of available apps makes an iPad appealing again. I would like to hear what people's experience with Microsoft Skydrive has been, particularly with Word and Excel.

I have found on my Chromebook, Google Docs (spreadsheets) need to be fairly small in size (file size) because larger files really bring the Chromebook to its knees in terms of processing power. My Chromebook is a Celeron, so not as weak as other Chromebooks and I have 2GB RAM, but G Docs really is the only thing that just makes it crawl. So that's what has me interested in the iPad mini. If the mini can manage multi-tab spreadsheets without huge delays and jerky screen behavior while editing formulas, it may be able to become my daily driver instead of the Chromebook.

If you have experienced Skydrive or even iWork on the iPad mini with any sizable documents, please leave feedback. I'm not interested in the screen debate...not so important since I'll be coming from a Chromebook with a crappy screen so I won't be comparing to a retina display anyhow. I like what I've seen of the screen on the mini in Apple Store, Best Buy, Target and Walmart.

2. documents-me macrumors newbie

Our experience with Skydrive on iPad

Microsoft has a SKyDrive app on iPad but it doesn't allow editing. However you can go to Safari and edit any of the office files. Unfortunately it is a bit slow but still useful. It is inconsistent in some places like you need to press Save in Word to save changes while powerpoint and excel do that automatically. In documents.me app, we are now adding support for Skdrive and editing as well.

3. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Skydrive on iOS is jus for uploading, downloading and viewing files. If editing spreadsheets brings your chrome book which is immensely more powerful than the mini too it's knees the mini won't fair any better. You're best off using an app designed for the iPad to do what you want (which will be severely limited I'm features) or deal with the slowness of the chrome book. Or sell the chrome book and but that towards a $399 i3 machine.