How is my battery life?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Obscurelight, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Obscurelight, Oct 20, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011

Obscurelight macrumors 6502

Hi there, I was wondering how does my battery life compare to what some others are currently experiencing out there. Due to many complaints about battery life being shorter than iPhone 4 I do somewhat notice I'm charging my 4S a bit more than I used to on my 4. I do the usual things like web, talk, text, a bit of music, and a few streaming videos. Even use siri a few times.

Right now I'm at
    16% battery life
    6 hours 5 minutes usage
    1 day 1 hour standby
    Since last full 100% charge.

I went to bed last night and the phone was at 18% battery life, this morning I've only lost 2%.

So I'm wondering is my battery life fine compared to what people would say is too little?

EDIT: forgot to mention I only use 3G, no wifi or 2G.

For those that are curious these are my settings;
    1. Wi-Fi almost always off
    2. Only essential Notifications (weather, phone, messages, mail, QQ, reminders, stock)
    3. Location Services On (only cell network search and traffic)
    4. Find my iPhone On
    5. Brightness Auto
    6. Siri On (no raise to speak)
    7. Bluetooth Off
    8. Auto-lock 1 minute
    9. iCloud On (everything in iCloud is on except for bookmarks and photo stream)
    10. iCloud backup Off
    11. Mail On (iCloud set to push, Gmail set to manual)
    12. FaceTime Off (never use it, maybe if it works on 3G....)
    13. iMessage Off
    14. If you want to know any other settings I'll glady oblige

2. docgerrard macrumors 6502

you get a little less than 2 hours more usage than me which is almost a 50% increase.

I don't know what you do with your phone, but you shouldn't be too worried!

3. RollTide1017, Oct 20, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011

RollTide1017 macrumors regular

Well, my battery life sucks compared to my old 3GS. My wife has even complained about the battery life not being as good since she updated to iOS5 on her 4.

I fully charged my 4S yesterday around noon. I went home early because the wife was sick so, I was busy taking care of the kids and only used my phone to send a few texts and make 1 phone call. I used my iPad to surf the net and check email. That night when I went to bed, the battery had gone from 100% to 59% with hardly any use. I don't get it, I can't figure out what I have turned on that is draining the battery. I didn't even have any unread notifications this morning, so it wasn't like I was getting a ton of emails and text and stuff. Does iCloud drain the battery, because if that is the problem, I'll just delete my iCloud account? The same location services are turned on that I had on my 3GS, but I never saw battery drain like this on my 3GS. I’m not watching videos or listening to music.

I know what kind of stuff drains the battery and, if I was doing those things, I wouldn’t have a problem with it. The problem is, I’m not doing those things and I can’t figure out what is killing the battery.

Here are my current "Time since last full charge" stats (battery % is at 29%):

Usage = 20 hours, 18 minutes
    Standby = 20 hours, 23 minutes

I don't understand these stats, how can I have 20 hours of usage and 20 hours of standby when I fully charged my phone less than 24 hours ago?

This battery sucks! I’ve never had to charge an iPhone everyday but, so far, with the 4S, I have. This is Android bad and ridiculous; I don’t want a $300 phone that can’t go a single day without being charged.

4. Obscurelight thread starter macrumors 6502

the time since last full charge only supposedly resets if you charge to 100% but yes I've been charging my phone everyday so far. I will update my opening post with my current settings for those that are curious

5. JP30 macrumors newbie

That usage is much better then what I'm getting.
    Right now I'm at 13% with:
    Usage- 3 hours, 30 minutes
    Standby - 1 day, 12 hours

With basically all location services off, wifi off, bluetooth off, few notifications on I get about 4 hours of usage. Isn't it supposed to be closer to 6 hours?!

6. Obscurelight thread starter macrumors 6502

wow pretty huge difference. Have you been streaming lots of videos? I think those drain battery the most but don't quote me on that.

7. JP30 macrumors newbie

Nope just some texting, twitter, facebook, and browsing the app store. I've noticed the back of the phone gets hot if im using a lot of data as well, may be headed to the Apple Store this weekend

8. Obscurelight thread starter macrumors 6502

I see, my phone hasn't ever gotten hot so far. Had it since release and the only time I noticed it got lukewarm was after an hour of netflix streaming. Good luck with your replacement, hopefully you get a good battery this time.

9. RollTide1017 macrumors regular

My 4S gets warm to the touch after just a few minutes of use, and if I play a game, like "Words with Friends", it gets hot after about 5 minutes. I would head to and Apple Store for an exchange if I had one to go to but, there the closest one is about 95 miles away.

10. Obscurelight thread starter macrumors 6502

maybe the heatsink system hasn't fully cured? 95 miles seems like an awful long drive for a phone. Maybe you can call apple and have them send you a replacement. Hearing things like this makes me appreciate that i have a 24 hour Apple store within half an hour away from me.