How is my web design?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by falcontook, Sep 10, 2008.

1. falcontook macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone could give suggestions about my new website and tell me if its easy to navigate through. Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you for your time and help. My website is www.mycookcentral.com

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

3. MCRunning macrumors 6502

The site loads pretty slow for me, but besides that point, change where it says "Easy Adsense" to something else. Maybe to sponsors (though I'm not sure if you can use sponsors when referring to Adsense nowadays, check the TOS). The disclaimer looks out of place, you should link to it at the bottom of the page. The donate button looks out of place and your 720 x 90 adsense ad at the bottom doesn't fit properly. I think the banner is way too big, a lot of black space on it just displaying how many members are online. When you first visit the site the first thing I notice is the huge banner instead of the content below. Furthermore, everything seems to cluttered to me. The "read more" is too small, in your title say "Persian Kabobs" make that linkable to the full article on your site. If you are trying to rank it is going to be tough since your links aren't SEO friendly.

If I were you I would switch over from Joomla to Wordpress. Things won't be as cluttered, you can customize it, you can build categories separating your different recipes, and I think the feel would be overall better. Just my .02

MC

4. bootedbear macrumors 6502

bootedbear

Wow, yeah, slow to load.

Also, what's the purpose of the site. It's obviously food related, but where's the explanation? "Welcome to the frontpage" doesn't really add anything.

As there are only two nav items: home and chat, I guess that's pretty easy.

The layout between the left sidebar and the main columns seems off and oddly mismatched.

5. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Way to slow to load, also the site doesn't seem to be "balanced" from a design POV important information needs to be at the top. The image with the black to the left seems like wasted space?

But with that said I really do like the colours you have used.

6. montanachad macrumors regular

montanachad

I would make the switch to Word Press as mentioned previously. Once in the chat room the browser's back button redirects back to the chat room. I found that annoying.

The site loaded fast on my residential Cable connection, but remember the dial-up and slower-paced DSL users. Further I wish you well in your endeavors! Those kabobs look tasty. :D

7. falcontook thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank You

Thank you everyone for the replies and advice. Im working on the speed thing. My Ethernet cable is missing so I have to go buy one and am being lazy. My web server is running on airport =/. Im also playing around with the design and looking into word press. Once again, thank you guys =), more responses here than at Mac forums haha

8. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

9. MCRunning macrumors 6502

He meant the layout I think.

MC