How is Netflix over 3G?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by doubledown7d, May 4, 2011.

1. doubledown7d macrumors member

Deciding between a wifi only or a 3G IP2. How is netflix over 3G? Is it worth it? Also, I'm assuming if you are using it even a little you will probably go over the low tier data caps? Thanks.

2. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

It's alright over 3G, nothing out of this world. If you plan to stream netflix, I would stay away from using data, as you would hit your cap quickly (something along the lines of three netflix movies)

3. mstrze macrumors 68000

May I ask why you are asking about 3G Netflix streaming quality as the reason for your choice between wifi and 3G versions of the iPad? I mean, it sounds like if the streaming quality of Netflix on 3G was poor, you would just say 'screw it' and go with the non-3G version.

You do realize that the 3G iPad also has wifi, correct?

4. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Streaming works and looks fine for me, I like it a lot, I've finally been able to watch the last 2 sessions of lost during downtime at work, but if you don't have unlimited data - a 43 minute video will be a couple hundred MB of your data usage. The only problem is that the picture is very pixelated the first few seconds of starting the stream.

If you can't get/won't have an unlimited data plan - don't let netflix be the reason you get the wifi+3G model.

5. doubledown7d thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I don't need 3G for much so have been planning to get the wifi only version and tether for the occasional off the wifi web query I need. Now that they are cracking down on wireless tether I was just wondering if paying for data would afford me any other luxury on top of the couple times a month I would need it. I also have Dish/sling and was thinking it might be nice to catch Dish or Netflix programming during downtime when wifi wasn't available. Sounds like between data caps and quality it isn't a very good idea. The wireless companies really suck, not everyone wants to abuse tethering on their unlimited plan.

6. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Yep, the caps suck and will probably get worse when/if T-Mo ceases to exist. Your other option for data is to get a wifi hotspot device from another carrier. If you think about the cost, it's not too much more than a 2gb iPad plan and the $10 price difference in the iPhone plans. $50 a month will get you unlimited 3G and 4G on Sprint's network using Time Warner Cable Mobile.