How is ooTunes w/ Server?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Mac In School, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I'm desperately trying to find the best way to stream my home music library to my iPhone.

I've tried z-Subsonic and StreamToMe. Both seem to time out a lot during even the shortest of cell dead spots (almost as if they don't buffer at all).

Should I expect anything different from ooTunes w/ ooTunes server? It's an awfully expensive experiment if it doesn't work.

I'm only guessing that buffering is to blame. Pandora plays just fine through all the same areas.

2. beardedhenry macrumors newbie

any updates?

Hi, I'm also currently evaluating the many options to stream my home music library on my mac to my iphone while on the go. I'm surprised there's been no responses...did you ever take the plunge?

3. Mac In School thread starter macrumors 65816

I didn't, but I think I've settle on a solution.

For audio I'm using mSpot. Rather than streaming from home, you upload your music to a server ($4/month) and stream it from there. Not a perfect app, but I'm very happy with it. It keeps me from having to leave my home computer on while I'm out of town for a week. It also streams faster, and has a much better interface than other solutions I've tried.

For video I'm using Stream2Me. Seems to work fine. I don't really even bother trying unless I'm on wifi. I like the way it will play iTunes copy-protected content through Safari. I'm guessing they all do that, though. Dunno. Truth be told, I haven't used it a whole lot. There may very well be something better out there.

4. beardedhenry macrumors newbie

Glad to hear you found a working solution. I've been scouring and hunting reviews of Audiogalaxy, Subsonic and ooTunes... now I get to add mSpot to the mix, lol. It sounds like a good fit. Thanks for the update!

5. Mac In School thread starter macrumors 65816