Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Power Ranger

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Hi everyone, I'd appreciate some input regarding OPlayer vs AVPlayer for the iPhone 4S (don't have yet, planning to buy one soon).

I downloaded the free version of OPlayer to try on my 3GS and iPad 2, and to my surprise found playback of simple AVI movies (non HD) in the range of 700mb - 1.4gb to be slightly, but noticeablely, choppy (more so on the 3GS). It's a slight choppiness throughout, rather than random hiccups.

So I'm wondering if this is to be expected of AVPlayer (paid version) as well? Is the paid version of OPlayer better? I'm seeing people saying they can run 720P MKVs on iPad 2 perfectly smooth, and I don't understand why I'm seeing such bad performance. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
I found OPlayer to be quite smooth and what OPlayer that is IMO a HUGE plus is that OPlayer supports SAMBA(Windows Shares), which means you can stream movies right from your Windows/Mac box and you don't have to transfer any videos to your iPhone.

I also prefer OPlayer's stock iOS UI over AVPlayer's bespoke one.

Power Ranger

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
When an advertisement is animating or loading there is a very slight choppiness but not otherwise.

Hmmm, thanks for that piece of info. I'm going to go into Airplane mode and test out the movies again, since I heard without any data connection the Ads box just turns into a grey box. Thanks.

UPDATE: Well I turned on Airplane mode, and OPlayer Lite's ads didn't even show up. I noticed noticeably smoother playback on my 3GS. I will try also on the iPad 2 once I get home. Things are looking up!

Last edited:

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
Hmmm, thanks for that piece of info. I'm going to go into Airplane mode and test out the movies again, since I heard without any data connection the Ads box just turns into a grey box. Thanks.

UPDATE: Well I turned on Airplane mode, and OPlayer Lite's ads didn't even show up. I noticed noticeably smoother playback on my 3GS. I will try also on the iPad 2 once I get home. Things are looking up!

No problemo,

BTW, checkout AcePlayer, does the same thing, is universal(iPhone/iPad) and it's free now on sale.

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/aceplayer/id463242636?mt=8

bjogul

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2011
I have AVPlayer on an iPhone 4s. How do I get the Play-buttons go away when playing a movie?
I also have buttons/indicators to the left and right that stays even as the movie plays. A

Thanks

GaMeFaNaTiC

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2011
720P MKV works fine on the 4S with AVPlayer. 1080P doesn't work though. I use it mostly for AVI files. Its worth the money imo :D

@bjogul I just tap the screen and the controls disappear. Maybe you turned something on by accident in the settings.

bjogul

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2011
720P MKV works fine on the 4S with AVPlayer. 1080P doesn't work though. I use it mostly for AVI files. Its worth the money imo :D

@bjogul I just tap the screen and the controls disappear. Maybe you turned something on by accident in the settings.

Thanks!

Thought I tried all combinations of double-tapping, swiping, pinching ... and tapping. But obviously not!

Worked like a charm!

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
What about ProPlayer? All 5 star reviews and "app of the day".. RushPlayer looks good too. Can play 1080p. Not sure if ProPlayer can play 1080p.

Power Ranger

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
No problemo,

BTW, checkout AcePlayer, does the same thing, is universal(iPhone/iPad) and it's free now on sale.

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/aceplayer/id463242636?mt=8

Uhg I missed the opportunity of getting AcePlayer for free, but I downloaded the "free" version. So far so good! I'm not sure of the differences btw. the paid version and free version though. On the free version, there's a popup ad at the beginning which you can turn off, unlike OPlayer Lite, where the ad stays on all the time.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
Goodplayer is the best. I have no idea why you guys haven't mentioned Goodplayer.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
I'm looking at Goodplayer and it mentions nothing about external subs i.e. ssrt etc. It mentions subs but isn't specific. Assuming only hard-coded. It also mentions nothing about being able to play 1080p files.

Can it do these two things like the other players above?

sevenbe8

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2011
UK
OPlayer Revelation

I am rooting for OPlayer – with the only complaint being that I can not have downloads running in parallel but have to wait before I can start the next one. There are some workarounds to this which make it easier but that is a real snag in my mind. Apart from that it plays mostly smooth and reliably over our server and has made getting up with my little ones who 'want to watch something' in the morning so much easier! (We don't have a telly...).;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.