How is possible for a 2MB pdf document to be blank ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by XPcentric, Jul 11, 2012.

1. XPcentric macrumors 6502

I downloaded it from www.2shared.com I want to know what the file contains, its 2 MB and its blank when read with preview. Any other tools that are useful to read ?

2. brentmore macrumors 6502

brentmore

I'd go ahead and fire up that antivirus if I were you.

3. spartig macrumors member

... and stay away from 2shared.com

Edit:
    I don't really know if that site is all that bad. However it appears XPcentric is downloading some questionable files, from a security stand point.

4. vim-espresso macrumors newbie

You often find crackers put malware into those sorts of files. Usually they use windows and bind them together with 'IExpress' to make the malware execute at the same time as the pdf is opened. It is advised to give your system a quick scan incase they used blackshades (malware that runs on mac as well as windows).
    In future open files with a text editor like vim or nano when you are in doubt (if it is a formatted document such as pdf or a document file). You can sometimes tell if there are unusual characters in it.

5. Sam Yikin macrumors regular

The message is written in invisible ink. Try pouring lemon juice on your screen.

6. XPcentric thread starter macrumors 6502

I tried to open a regular pdf file with MacVim and CotEditor, there is no logical sentence/words that I can understand. I dont know nano, but I'm not sure its possible to open a pdf with those apps.

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Say what? It's a Mac.

Maybe that file is just corrupt. You could try it on a Windows system and see if anything shows up, just for kicks.

8. ERIC273 macrumors 6502

I can confirm the Blackshades Remote Administration Tools bin can not run on a mac.

-Eric the Ethical Hacker.