How is refurbished MBP, from Apple?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by go ipad, Oct 29, 2012.

1. go ipad macrumors member

go ipad

Hello,

I saw a nicely configured refurbished 13" MBP (June 2012 model) from Apple site. How are refurbished MBPs from Apple? Good deal or something to avoid? :confused:

Please advise and thanks in advance!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple refurbished products are considered by most to be a very good deal, as they're pretty much like buying a new Mac, except for the box.
    • Apple Certified Refurbished Products are available online from the Apple Refurb Store and are not sold in local Apple stores
    • Educational discounts do not apply to refurb products.
    • Refurb products come with the same warranty as new products, and qualify for AppleCare
    • Refurb products have a changed serial number that identifies them as refurbished
    • Refurb products come with whatever OS version and software they originally shipped with as new
    • Refurb products come with the same items in the box as new products, only the box is a plain one, not the new box.
    • A refurb product could have some cosmetic signs of prior use, but rarely do
    • A refurb Mac may have some cycles on the battery, but not a significant enough amount to affect usable life
    • The refurb store inventory changes frequently, sometimes several times a day, and doesn't have any direct relation to upcoming product releases. What's available in the refurb store is determined by what has been returned to Apple.
    • If you're looking for a particular item, refurb.me can alert you when it becomes available.

3. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Refurbs are just like new, and are better value.

Buy with confidence.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I've had good luck with refubs. You can sometimes find them at 3rd party Apple resellers.

I've actually had one of my refurbs show up in a normal retail box, but every other one I've ordered or seen came in a brown "refurbished" box.

5. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I've purchased a few refurbs and they've always been in great shape. The only problem I ever had was when they sent me one with the wrong HDD, but that was quickly and easily taken care of. Refurbs save you money, and you still get the full one year warranty and the option to purchase Applecare. I think they're a great deal.

6. robvas macrumors 68020

I have bougth 3 this year, 2 15" and 1 13", they have all been fine.

7. DavidQ macrumors newbie

I bought nearly every iStuff I have thanks to the refurb.

1 iPad 1, 2 iPod, my MBA 11 (nicely configured), my girlfriend iMac, my Mom cMBP and so on...

Best value for money, never been annoyed with aftersale...

Except my new rMBP as they don't have pieces yet.

8. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

unless you need to have the product on launch day, the refurb store is always a smarter buy.

9. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Only thing is, it comes in a brown box, not in those high-gross boxes like u just bought a Rolex, and b4r anybody laughs, a part of the Apple's experience. ;)

10. baummer macrumors 6502a

I've not heard any complaints. Only thing is, you are likely not going to save more than 20% on an MBP. Usually much less than that. However, if you don't qualify for an education discount, it's one of the more cost effective methods of saving on a MBP direct from Apple. Although, you can sometimes find NIB MBP's on Amazon at the equivalent of the education discount (e.g. cMBP base is $0.99 more than the education discount).

11. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Thumbs Up!!

I have a mid-2011 MBP 15" and it has been great.. I know four good friends who have bought a Refurb in the past three years, and all have been great for them too..

I saved about $300, it looked LIKE NEW and I am sure the Power Supply was new, same Warranty, and when I checked the Battery it had been through Seven Cycles previously.. Very Happy!!

I say a Great Way to get into a computer.. I would buy another any time!! :apple: