How is supply now?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Marine0621, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Marine0621 macrumors member

Is supply to the point yet where you can just walk in and get one or is it still necessary to try to get there early on days of deliveries?

2. jacobson00 macrumors member

i would love to know now. Is the wait 3 to 4 weeks still in the us (New york)?

3. Gunny011 macrumors regular

4. jjhny macrumors regular

jjhny

North of NYC I called around, Westchester and Southern CT - still not so good on supply. One store said the scalpers are still out there (you could tell he was nervous discussing scalpers so I won't mention which store). He said maybe next week it will get better.

Eventually the scalper market has to get saturated!

5. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

I was in a local Apple store on Saturday. Supplies still pretty tight.

6. kcmo macrumors member

Pretty tough to find one in Houston....still trying, though I ordered online 4/22.

7. dacapo macrumors 6502

8. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

9. dacapo macrumors 6502

I've never heard this outside of my younger days growing up in Hawaii. Is this actually used in SoCal? :D

10. poloponies macrumors 68030

Japan and Hong Kong are coming online for iPad distribution so there will be more fingers dipping into the pie. What that means for local supplies is anyone's guess.

11. cwerdna macrumors 6502

Yep, along w/some other mentioned at http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20057828-17.html?tag=topTechContentWrap;editorPicks.

Supply still isn't good in the US unless you want a Verizon model or some unpopular SKUs.

I have 4 orders open now (B&H, J&R, MacMall and Mac Connection) for 32-gig black wi-fi and all are still backordered. :/ Orders were placed 3/26 (J&R), 4/4 (B&H), 4/11 and 4/14.

12. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

I went in an Apple Store (Seattle) on Saturday pretty early in the day, they only had 64gig 3g's and sounded like they only had a few of those - I went over a best buy and they had one 16 gig wifi which I took home, so yeah - maybe a little better but still pretty tight.

13. Mark K macrumors newbie

One day about 10 days ago at my Apple store in Mission Viejo CA, got a monster delivery. The ipad 2 supply lasted for most of the day.

Other days, it hasn't been so good.

14. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

All Apple stores in the DC area sell out before even opening. Most folks get there before opening hours and wait (yes still). They get a paper ticket and are told to come back at 9pm for their iPad.

Other stored like Best Buy, Target, Radio Shack sometimes have it but stock is 99% zero after the first day of delivery because they take reservations.

15. Smoothness macrumors regular

come back at 9PM???

16. ani23 macrumors 6502

Apples shipping within 2 weeks. I would just order online.

17. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

18. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Worse, as Apple ships them to other countries.

19. Sonisk macrumors member

Supply in Denmark is horrible right now. In fact it has been since launch. Danish Apple store says 1-2 weeks, but retailers have none in their inventory, and can't say when they will get more. Also, a few webshops here have a little stock, but are asking for around $166 more than what it cost at Apples store.

It is probably easier to buy a kidney on the black market here than an iPad 2 :/ Not that I would know where to get a kidney though :p

20. Moe UK macrumors regular

Was in the Apple store in Westfield shopping centre in London yesterday trying to buy an iPhone for my wife, I say trying as everyone I spoke to said that I need to speak to someone at the iphone table. Honestly I was finding it difficult to spend my money in there.

Anyway after I completed my sale I asked the guy if they had any ipads in stock and he said no, so I said what are those pads that people are buying. he went had a look and then told me they had just had a delivery.

I went back a few hours latter and was able to pick up a 32GB Wifi model.

21. piperamirez macrumors newbie

A friend of a friend is visiting the US (dunno where exactly) for a couple of days (I'm from south america) and I asked him if he could pick one up for me, so I gave him a priority list in case my first choice (16gig wi-fi in black) wasn't available. That list includes all wi-fi only models, basically.

As for today morning I haven't received any news from him yet.

What are my chances of getting one considering the fact that I'm willing to pay any of the 6 wifi models?

22. Grimes macrumors regular

I decided to buy one online... 1.5 weeks away from shipping is better than the complete hit & miss luck I've had searching for them in local stores. I spoke to numerous store employees (Apple, Best Buy, Target, and Walmart) and all said if you don't need it right this very second, shipping is down to 1.5-2 weeks, so that might be easiest. I agreed with that logic.

23. AppleMacDudeG4 macrumors member

not in major quantities

The supply at the stores seems to be pretty limited everywhere. I think it was mentioned somewhere that the demand for the iPad2 is 40% higher than the original iPad and given the issues that Japan has suffered through, it has made it difficult to have any sort of numbers to sell.

Right now the best way to get an iPad2 is to order it online unless you want to regularly go to an Apple Store as it first opens and hope that they have some for sale that day.

I think it is going to be several months at least before things are more normal in terms of having supply at a store that lasts for more than a day.

24. vladtheimpaler macrumors regular

vladtheimpaler

The two local Apple stores nearest to me have had a constant stock for the past week. Only the 3g models, but plenty.

25. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

MT. 9am ;)