Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2015
I think the main highlight this year is the 2x faster refresh rate, 120Hz up from 60Hz. This will make it crystal clear, even when scrolling. Current iPads/most screens you've likely ever looked at are a little blurry when scrolling due to their "slow" 60Hz refresh rate.

Reactions: Skika

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Besides the obvious slight resolution update obviously
It is all pretty obvious, but:
  1. Brighter screen, not sure if that makes it better, but certainly brighter if needed to find your way around in the dark
  2. Larger color range, definitely better. Human eyes can see about 12 million variations of color, so the 1 billion iPad Pro color display will be 988 million more than your human eyes can appreciate. How's that for awesome!
  3. Faster refresh, means better scrolling, betting animation, better everything
  4. Digital keyboard will be a little bit bigger and closer to full size keyboard, that is a good thing if you can type really fast using all of your fingers. Most of the noobs just use their thumbs now, so not sure if that is actually better, but I'm adding it here because I really like to type.

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
Besides the obvious slight resolution update obviously
If you're referring to real estate, I tend to think ~20% more is a fairly significant increase.

As someone who often uses an iPad for handwritten notes outdoors during the day, the brightness increase and refresh rate increase (as relates to improved Apple Pencil tracking) are very welcome as well. Looking forward to getting my hands on one to see.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Larger color range, definitely better. Human eyes can see about 12 million variations of color, so the 1 billion iPad Pro color display will be 988 million more than your human eyes can appreciate. How's that for awesome!
I'm pretty sure it was only the iMac that got support for 1 billion colors through 10-bit dithering.

It's important to understand the difference between color range and color resolution. The human eye can see more vibrant reds, greens and blues than any current display can replicate. The human eye cannot discern between every color that even the original 2010 iPad could create. The DCI-P3 color space extends the color gamut (range) that the iPad can display. Your eyes can discern the more vibrant colors, but they can't discern every step between different colors. Does that make sense?

Here is a sample graph that plots P3 against Adobe RGB and sRGB. The larger area is the range of human vision. P3 expands upon sRGB. Apple likely chose it because it's a bit more balanced than Adobe's green bias. We've still got a long ways to go to completely cover human vision.

Attachments

• fapo_3M01_may2013-LoRes.png
    fapo_3M01_may2013-LoRes.png
    85.3 KB · Views: 306

BigAppleNYC123

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2017
If you're referring to real estate, I tend to think ~20% more is a fairly significant increase.

As someone who often uses an iPad for handwritten notes outdoors during the day, the brightness increase and refresh rate increase (as relates to improved Apple Pencil tracking) are very welcome as well. Looking forward to getting my hands on one to see.
It's 17 percent. It's significant but not huge. Apples war on bezels looks like a skirmish and nothing big at this point

Reactions: marmiteturkey
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.