How is the 2011 MBP in playing HD Video? (h.264)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sunyata7, May 19, 2011.

1. Sunyata7 macrumors newbie

I just bought the base-model 2011 MacBook pro with the HR Antiglare display. I want to play HD movies off h.264 files and I was just wondering how well this machine could do that. Does it even do h.264 decoding?

Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

3. Sunyata7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool thanks. When I tried playing an HD Trailer off apple.com/trailers at the Apple Store, it actually lagged quite a bit. But I figured maybe this was just streaming HD?

4. simsaladimbamba

Maybe it was a slow internet connection, due to many visitors using the same connection.
    Just let the trailer load, it will play automatically, if the download is far enough that the end of the clip is downloaded before the playing is over.
    When watching a 1080p trailer on my C2D 2.8GHz MBP, QT Player X will use around 10% CPU (out of 200% available CPU).

Maybe some other process was hogging up the CPU?

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]
    Further reading:
    ______________________________________________________​

5. johnnj macrumors 6502a

It's fine. I can play 1080p mkv fine both locally and streaming from my server.

I use both VLC and Plex.

I have one running right now.

6. JTToft macrumors 68040

- So well that it can play at least four 1080p H.264 video files simultaneously.

7. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Well for me, that's 3 1080p YouTube videos + 1 iTunes 1080p movie + 1080p iMovie project.
    'Nuff said. ;)