Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

radiologyman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
Was bluetooth in MB updated since 2015 model? I have connection drops on AirPods which really don't happen when I use same headphones with X

sufs

Cancelled
Jul 5, 2012
I got the entry level rMB at launch day in 2015, and just recently got the new entry level Mini to replace it as my day to day. This was mainly due to a need for dual screens, and running 2x4k was out of the question with the rMB.

Otherwise I must say: this is by FAR the best value computer I have ever owned. I still LOVE lugging it around, and it only really slows down when using an external 4k monitor. Granted, I don't do any heavy photo or video editing, but I still use it to make money (management consulting)—and being a portable computer, this form factor is the ****** pinnacle of laptops as far as I am concerned.

The funny thing is that it is actually MORE responsive with the latest version of Mojave, then with whatever it came with (Yosemite I belive). I would be very upset if Apple tosses out this form factor in favour of the new Air, which is even not comparable IMO.

When I eventually replace it, I am going to go for least 16GB of RAM to handle larger spreadsheets better (my spreadsheet use is probably more advanced and heavy than 99,9% of most people). Other than that, its a perfect little machine.

Reactions: radiologyman

lowkey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
australia
Same experience here.
I’ve never found my base model 2015 to be slow. Even when using photoshop and Indesign.
I actually prefer the keyboard compared to my partners 2017 13”MBP.

My 2015 base model still seems fast enough for my light usage consisting of MS Word, web (Safari and Chrome), iTunes, and Citrix. I’ve had it since new going on three years ago, and it’s a wonderful travel companion (both in my messenger on a daily basis and on economy airline tray tables). I hardly ever see the beach ball, and the aforementioned applications open as quickly as similar applications do on my work-provided office desktop (Windows). My battery still lasts through a cross-country flight or a six-hour deposition without worry. I am completely happy with it. Yes; even the keyboard. (I love this machine even more than my beloved 2013 MBA because of the screen and greater portability).

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
I have an entry 2015 and it's been fantastic. I LOVE the form factor. Awesome for traveling or couch surfing.

I keep seeing posts about how the entry m3 was slow, but I don't know what they're talking about for basic usage. I use some of the fastest workstations available for work, and I'm a lead foot, so I both know and like fast. I've been using garageband on it daily for the last couple years. Typical office apps. Web surfing. Opening/closing apps, basic tasks, etc... all smooth and snappy. Even connected a 4K display to check that out... buttery smooth. Sustained CPU usage, like encoding, it's not super fast and will throttle quickly. Maybe more recent versions of macOS ironed out the issues people were having, but I know that the vast majority of computer users looking for a laptop like this would be fine with the performance of the 2015 base model.

Not long after getting it (late spring 2015), some food crumbs fell into the keyboard and I had to mash them up and blow air, and it fixed itself, and so I've avoided eating over the keyboard... but I bought AppleCare just in case... and of course zero issues since. Keyboard took very little getting used to - I can type just as fast if not faster - now I find a lot of older keyboards feel a little mushy.

A friend got the 2016 or 17... with the Gen 2 keyboard... and we did a sit down comparison. The new keyboard is definitely better, but not night and day - it's way closer than many people make it out to be IMO. It's of course subjective... some people are really into the keyboard experience, but again, most people probably wouldn't even notice the difference without a lot of experience with one or the other first (or a side by side comparison).

I do find the trackpad a little large in that if I'm using it when not positioned on a desk for proper typing position (e.g. my lap), it's pretty hard for me to avoid accidental touches... though I've either gotten used to it, or Apple made some subtle improvements to macOS, because it seems like less of an issue than when I first got it.

This stuff just gets so overblown on these forums, it's crazy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.