How is the 3G service in Birmingham, AL?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by botsmack, Aug 12, 2009.

1. botsmack macrumors member

Forgive me if this type of question shouldn't be addressed here. I contemplated going to an AT&T forum, if I knew of one.

Basically, I just want to know if all these AT&T problems that everyone is complaining about lately (or at least are getting media coverage) are common in the Birmingham, AL, area. I don't travel outside the Southeast that much. I currently have T-Mobile and was waiting for the HTC Touch Pro2 to be released today, before making a decision between that and the iPhone.

I've never had a "smartphone" before. But when I saw that the cost of the HTC phone would be $350 (w/ 2-year contract) I am starting to reconsider. I've not completely ruled it out yet, because I still want to go by the store and test it out. After all, it was the top phone on my list (in front of the MyTouch 3G and iPhone). The only thing that has changed is the contract price. But it's enough to really make me consider switching to the iPhone and AT&T.

2. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Service in both Birmingham, Alabama and Columbia, South Carolina are great. We don't have the 7mbps yet (or even 5 sometimes), but it's great.

I used to live in Birmingham.

In my house in Columbia, I never get less than 5 bars. I am inside the city limits in the suburbs.

3. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

Its good. I live in Auburn, AL(WAR EAGLE!! :)) and I'm crossing my fingers we get 3G soon. Now they are saying October 3rd :( though.

4. botsmack thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the feedback. That's promising news, to say the least. Oh yeah...War Eagle! Huge Auburn fan here, so knowing that Auburn is on schedule to receive 3G soon will be nice when traveling to the games.

5. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Is there a place to go to see where 3G is being rolled out? Or even improved service (non-3G).

6. fid macrumors newbie

Downtown Birmingham right now. dslreports shows a speed of 481kbps.
    Service from area is great. Have several co-workers with 3G and 3GS phones. No complaints.

Hope this helps...

7. auburnfan24 macrumors regular

lived in birmingham (hoover/alabaster) for 24 years. always had at&t...i have had every iphone since launch day in 2007. only had maybe 10 or less dropped calls and great 3G service. I have yet to be disappointed by at&t in alabama. enjoy...i highly recommend it over the other carriers in the area. verizon would be my 2nd choice here....never t-mo or sprint...yuck. :apple:

8. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

That's what are saying. I own the local UPS store and a AT&T tech came in and said we were supposed to have it August 3rd but its been delayed alittle.

I wish! If anybody knows of any please post.

9. botsmack thread starter macrumors member

10. jsimpson macrumors regular

jsimpson

I've seem 1755 DL and 234 UL in the Trussville area.

11. Roller macrumors 68020

I work in downtown B'ham, live near Sicard Hollow Road. I average about 1,700 Kbits/sec in the better areas, about half that at home, where my signal has always been weak.