How is the 9.7 Air 2> 12.9 Pro upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Math889, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Math889 macrumors 65816

2. ericwn macrumors 65816

Discussed on this forum very often. Please research for user feedback, especially over X-Mas might be quiet on here. Also, most professional reviews of the 12.9 reference the Air 2 performance, if I remember correctly.

3. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

It's quite a difference. When i made that move, I was amazed at the size difference. Traditionally, I used the Air 2 for the regular iPad stuff like watching movies, surfing the web, email, mainly a consumption device. With the 12.9, the extra screen real estate gives you room for getting some work done. I tried the 9.7 pro and for me, it was just too small to do anything other than the same things that I had traditionally done on an iPad. Split screen is tiny, keyboard is small, and there's just only so much you can do on a 9.7 inch display. Many will argue that with me and say that the 9.7 is big enough for true productivity. Each user is different. It really depends on what you are looking to accomplish with it. For me, the size alone of the 12.9 makes it a much better "laptop replacement' option than the Air 2 or the 9.7 pro could be. BUT, if you are planning on using it primarily as a consumption device, the 12.9 can be a bit bulky or awkward to hold without a stand or keyboard case. Just my opinions. What are your main uses going to be?

4. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

What are your intended uses? Are you looking for specific differences or just seeking user feedback?

5. Math889 thread starter macrumors 65816

Mainly a consumption device, I usually surf the web A LOT ,watch some videos , movies and series, listen some music , play some games,email,. And I use Microsoft excel too.

6. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

The 12.9 is too big for me, but I have a 13" MacBook Pro.

7. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Two reasons for me. I had enough of 9.7 inches screen for years and I'm bit tired of lugging my 2012 rMBP all the times.

8. ericwn macrumors 65816

So did you update to a 12.9 from an Air 2 and can comment on the question the OP asked? Is it worth the update?

9. mellofello macrumors 65816

I had intended on selling my 9.7 air 2, after getting the pro, but I kept it. Pro is great for around the house but not as portable.

10. Math889 thread starter macrumors 65816

I am going to wait for the Pro 2 .
    If it come on March , I will upgrade
    If not , I have two options
    Keep my Air 2 or buy an Pro 12.9

11. Math889 thread starter macrumors 65816

12. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

It is nice. I am hoping that they release either a matte black or Jet black like the new iPhone colors. That would be a sharp looking iPad.

13. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

Just got my refurbished 12.9 a couple of days ago. Great update, I mainly wanted a larger screen for watching Netflix and reading and this thing is GREAT. Doesn't seem much faster though, and it seems like Netflix takes a bit longer when you move to a certain spot in the video (it's noticeable). If your upgrading for a bigger screen mostly, go for it. But if your looking for speed improvements or stuff like that you might be disappointed. Bought because I haven't seen many rumors on making the device lighter, and that's mainly what matters to me. I'm saving the $300 for selling the air though, and if the upgrade is amazingly lighter and such I will sell it and upgrade. If not it seems like it should last a while. A lot of people like to rag on the Air 2 for its three core processor, but it has been selling for many years, and is now the 'cheap' iPad people are flocking to, so I suspect a lot more developers take advantage of the tri-core than many pro users like to admit. Add in the increased resolution and your chopping off some of the gains of the gpu.

14. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

depends if you want the bigger screen.

the extra ram is nice if you do the things to use it. 12.9 pro is an amazing device and if you like the bigger screen is still the best tablet you can buy. depends what size you want.

i would wait till march if you were going to get one.

15. Math889 thread starter macrumors 65816

I will be getting 12.9 IPad . I am getting tired of 9.7 inch screen. I can't wait for the next iPad .Plus, I hope they add jet black and matte black

16. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

Same, i just wasn't using my 9.7, and I decided I'd rather enjoy the 12.9 now then have my 9.7 just sitting unused losing it's already fallen value for another couple of months. If the 9.7 becomes the budget device the Air 2 will also plummet in value.

17. Math889 thread starter macrumors 65816

The Air 2 is an excellent iPad .But , I want a bigger screen +Apple Pencil . That's it's enough reason to make me upgrade , oh and don't forget that extra RAM