How is the Apple Care support for an iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by WorldTravelBro, Aug 26, 2014.

1. WorldTravelBro macrumors member

Just thinking of having to bring in my iMac for repair has me nervous.

Do you just go in with a cart, explain the problem and leave it there?

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Without a doubt AppleCare is the smartest add-on you can get for any Apple device. Apple has a long history of standing behind their products, if you search a bit you will find many stories of customers that had problems and if their machine was covered by AppleCare and the problem persisted after repair Apple would replace the machine, even if it was up to 3 years old with more modern hardware. In addition in the event you need telephone support, their phone support is normally great.

Also if you ever have a need to use the AppleCare you will find it is FAR less expensive than the cost of even a minor repair on an iMac.

Just get it, if you are smart you can even get it for a discount by doing some shopping. Try Amazon, B&H Photo, LA Computer etc..

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

The Apple Care I received was superb. My 2010 iMac had severe discoloration on the display. I brought it in, they turned it on, saw it and said they'd replace it under warranty. I left it with them for a few days and picked it up all shiny and clear. The warranty cost was over $600 and I didn't have to pay anything.

4. erickj macrumors regular

I've had it for both of my iMac's and used it both times. On first one failed superdrive after about a year and half. Fixed in 2 days. Also screen got yellow and they fixed it in about 2 days as well.

On second one, I don't remember what happened to it, but it just kinda went on the fritz. I think it was the logic board. Took it in, fixed it. Also, my second one had a bad hard drive that was under a recall. Mine didn't fail, but I took it in for the replacement anyway. Done in less than a day.

You only need to take in the computer itself. No power cord, no peripherals, no box. I've had applecare on all my macs and it's paid for itself many times over.

5. robgendreau macrumors 68040

I don't think you're asking about the merits of AppleCare, which unlike some car service contracts doesn't provide for a loaner while repairs are being made (THAT might make AppleCare a more attractive deal).

Since your MAIN fear is doing without a computer, prioritize your spending on a workable computer and data backup. I wouldn't worry about the Apple Store; I've seen people walk in trailing the AC cord from an iMac. The edginess is having to leave something with all your confidential data in the hands of some Apple worker bee. Probably not an issue for many, but some of us would be arrested if we let that happen. Plan accordingly. One reason I never buy AppleCare is that I could only leave a computer with them if I was completely sure it had none, zero, zippo work data, and in a crash or with a non-bootable Mac I just can't be 100% sure of that. Others may not have those restrictions, but it depends on what you use your machine for.

6. FreemanW macrumors 6502

You would (at the very least) want to speak with AppleCare on the telephone and confirm the issue.

Although I've never encountered the misfortune of having to utilize AppleCare . . . . . my impression is that the AppleCare representative can handle making an appointment for you or arrange for a pre-paid shipping label if you do not live near an Apple Store or Apple Service Center.

7. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

AppleCare is excellent and depending on where you live you do not necessarily need to go anywhere. My mid-2011 iMac was serviced in my home for free three times before they ultimately replaced it recently with a shiny brand new late-2013 iMac.

I would suggest calling Apple to check if on-site service would be available to you should you need it. Odds are if you live in the United States it probably is. They say it varies in other nations so you'd need especially there to check. It was great having somebody come here and take care of it so I didn't need to lug it anywhere and it also reduced down time I think. They were very prompt in setting appointments and stayed in touch with me on the status of things on pretty much a daily basis.

I will always buy AppleCare.

8. AxoNeuron macrumors 65816

AxoNeuron

I've never purchased AppleCare for any of my macs. My 13" 2009 MacBook Pro is still running like a champ, which is amazing really. My 2012 15" Retina MacBook Pro has also had zero issues.

That said, I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop and to have the entire $700 display assembly burn out or something, so well see if I saved money or not by not getting AppleCare :D I always get AppleCare on iPhones though, since I drop it very very frequently during fits of epileptic rage.

9. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Applecare is great. When I needed it a year ago with an iMac that I was having problems with, it paid for itself in the end. I got a replacement after many issues over a 19 month period and could not be happier with the replacement as I have not had a single issue with it.

Just make an Genius Bar appointment before going in. I brought mine back in the original box. The Genius had me set it up and turn it on. He did some simple diagnostic test and decided what needed repairs and it was that simple. Picked it up a few days later and was on my way.

Same procedure each time I had a problem. Talking about the same iMac.

10. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

I don't buy AppleCare for my mobile devices, but did buy it with my iMac, and I'm glad I did.

Took the Mac into the store early on to resolve some issues with transferring data from my old computer. Turned out to be operator error, but the genius was able to sort things out quickly. Took in the keyboard a few months later for a sticking key that they fixed.

Don't overlook the fact that the AppleCare on the iMac also covers any Apple peripheral device you purchase during the AppleCare period. I used this feature this year to get some phone assistance with setting up the network on my AirPort Extreme.

So I've been very pleased with the coverage even though I have not yet (knock on wood) had any kind of major hardware failure. If something like that happens, I'll be REALLY glad I have it! I'm happy to self-insure for a $700 iPad, but not for an iMac.

With iMacs going for $2000 to $4000, as a percentage of the purchase price of the covered equipment AppleCare is a very good purchase. I will get it again on my next iMac.

11. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

It's highly unlikely that a phone tech would be able to confirm anything. Diags needs access to the iMac and isn't really something they can do other the phone.

to the OP: Back up your data (in case the issue is that your hard drive is taking a dive), go in and see what is said. And yes you may be without your computer for several days.

12. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

Well, if you want on-site you need to call and they do a telephone triage of the problem before setting an appointment with the tech so that what parts they need to ship for the tech to have available can be pre-determined. That was my experience. Plus they arrange the tech visit for you, etc. I wouldn't take it anywhere unless you have to because on-site isn't an option in your area.

It's important to note that on-site is not limited to distances from Apple stores. They use a network of techs that I noted is at least one different company with locations all over the US. I moved during the period of troubles and got on-site in central Massachusetts and again in a relatively rural area of North Carolina.

So personally, unless a store is close and one prefers to deliver it there versus an on-site service visit, I would always begin with a phone call to AppleCare and specify that on-site is desired for the issue and go from there.

13. FreemanW macrumors 6502

So . . . . then . . . . . if an AppleCare technician cannot do what AppleCare technicians clearly do every day, all day, why have a telephone number listed for people with AppleCare to call?

The last time I had an issue, the AppleCare tech actually used remote to view the issue I was calling about, and to see the Console text regarding that issue.

AppleCare phone support absolutely does diagnose and render opinion regarding need for service and will (at the very least) provide assistance in setting up service.

Obviously they do not do hands-on diagnostics, nor do they perform repairs. Preliminary diagnostics, whether or not a service is indicated? Yeah, that is their job, along with providing customer care.