How is the Apple Watch different or better than other "smart watches"?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by slipper, Sep 10, 2014.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

I'm not familiar with the smart watch market. How is the Apple Watch different or better than the other smart watches on the market?

2. LoganT macrumors 68020

It'll integrate seamlessly with my iPhone.

3. Lucagfc macrumors 6502

I think that the most important differences are:

• Deeply integrated with iPhone
    • New concept UI and not only a scaled down smartphone interface
    • Apple Pay

4. CEmajr macrumors 601

The Digital Crown is supposed to be the killer UI feature that cracked the code of how to make smart watches accessible to the masses. I'll have to try it out in person before I can accurately judge if that's correct though. I'm guessing it is.

5. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

6. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Ivy has licked the top of every single one of them before they are put up for sale.

7. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Having looked at gear S watch again I'm not sure that the Apple watch is better. Apple just did a better job of selling it at their Keynote.

8. Yurivd macrumors newbie

The OS looks a lot better

9. Hazyb71 macrumors member

It has massive potential. For one, they didn't waste space inside the device on things that the iPhone already has. This leaves space for other things like haptic feedback. It also works seamlessly with the iPhone/iPad. So you're reading an email on your Apple Watch, but you unlock your phone and the email is there ready to be replied to.

Second, I think the fact that Apple figured out a wearable device should take advantage of the contact it has with skin is massive. This will have huge implications in the health sector. The fact that it monitors you and sets goals for you is a big plus in my book.

Third, an Apple Watch App Store! The sky is the limit here. The iPhone was mostly a cell phone before the App Store. The Apple Watch is already more than a watch, but it will only get better from here. Developers are creative.

10. Shanghaichica, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014

Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Other smartwatches do this.

11. Andy-Howell macrumors newbie

Integration across the whole of the Apple range is the big win and increasingly important I think.

Apple Pay is a major plus and I suspect might actually be the most significant announcement at the keynote.

But, that OS looks fascinating and it strikes me that we could be seeing that coming to other devises at some point in the not too distant future. It will be interesting to see how it works!

12. Hazyb71 macrumors member

I've always said Apple wasn't the first to do it, but the first to execute it right. The idea was conceived a long time ago, other makers just rushed to market. Apple's offering will holistic. We already know the people they've hired and the health API's and partnerships point to a much deeper fitness experience. I suspect it does more than merely monitor our pulse.

13. Zellio macrumors 65816

Zellio

It has louder fanboys and Jony Ive who can sell sh** to a toilet

14. tonyunreal macrumors regular

tonyunreal

I think the most important feature of Apple Watch is that it runs a variant of iOS called Watch OS, so existing iOS developers can not only update their apps to be better integrated with the Apple Watch, but also easily develop new on-screen apps for it, just like the few Apple has demoed on stage.

15. iCore24 macrumors 6502

iCore24

Android Wear:

- Cant customize clock faces or anything really on the device itself.
    - Has no Home screen.
    - Has almost no standalone apps.
    - Has only card interfaces so can't see more then one thing.
    - Mostly notifies you of notifications and opens it on your phone only.

Apple Watch:

- Has much more futuristic watch faces. Im loving the Astronomy clock!
    - Actually has a home screen with already a load of apps, could have hundreds of apps soon.
    - Nice fluid UI when scrolling around and zooming in with its digital crown.
    - Has a nice standalone message, phone, and mail app that you can reply, delete, without touching your phone.
    - Has new ways of communicating where you can draw, tap, send heartbeat, etc.
    - Has a walkie talkie feature.
    - Better more accurate fitness tracker.
    - Has a sensitive touch screen that senses pressure touches. Hard press for second click, soft press for one click.
    - And the potential to grow to the masses enabling developer interest that takes advantage of the watch a lot more.