How is the Ballistic HC case?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Hype2k2, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Hype2k2 macrumors 6502

Hype2k2

New poster here seen the YouTube vids about it and was wondering if anyone has gotten their hands on one from ATT. I would love to try it before the otterbox is released because I'm known to drop phones a lot. :rolleyes:

2. troop231 macrumors 603

Friend had one at the gym yesterday, he just got it in from ATT, and it's definitely beefy lol.

3. Hype2k2 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hype2k2

Yeah, I'm a very clumsy person a small price to pay to keep iPhone alive :)

4. troop231 macrumors 603

Lol get that case then.

5. gdprof27 macrumors member

gdprof27

Just came from the local AT&T store here in DC. They had a Ballistic iPhone 4 case in stock.

Just a first impression- The Ballistic case certainly adds more bulk, but no more than the Otterbox Defender that I have on my 3G. Two things stood out for me, one good and one bad:

The Good = The holster. It has a top latch which makes for a VERY secure fit for the case. When I originally had my 3G in the Defender's case it would slip out all the time. After a while I just did not feel it was safe for me to use. After seeing the Ballistic holster I would say that there is little or no chance of the phone slipping out. That top latch is key and I hope Otterbox has something similar in its next gen Defender.

The Bad = Lack of coverage for all ports. The headphone jack feels very exposed, same thing with the speakers and mic on the other end. It may be a long shot but if the "right" situation presents itself and you drop your phone on a gravelly area there is a chance that either the top or the bottom could take a direct hit. In addition, the outer layer is narrow by the ear piece and the home button. If you are the kind of iPhone owner who removes the case sporadically in order to clean out the ports, etc., you run the risk of slowly wearing the material down or accidentally catching it on something.

I can't say what would be important to each owner who can't wait for the new Defender but for me- after seeing the Ballistic case and actually having my hands on it, those factors were enough to make me put it back on the rack.

6. troop231 macrumors 603

Otterbox is overrated and highly exaggerated. Not sure what the big deal about them is lol.

7. gdprof27 macrumors member

gdprof27

Fort Collins, CO might be overrated but certainly not the Defender.

With the exception of complete and lasting immersion in liquid, I have not come across another case which provides such complete protection.

8. Hype2k2 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hype2k2

Ouch seems like the otter box is taking forever.

9. Raegor macrumors member

How functional is the phone in the ballistic?

10. Hype2k2 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hype2k2

Seen it action it works fine, but I have to agree after seeing in person not worth it just going to be careful and hope otterbox is out sooner than later.

11. ddoolin macrumors regular

ddoolin

I'm not sure how they're either. There's hardly any competition...they were practically the only option available for serious protection on the 3GS.

Anyway, OB took a lot of sh`it for the holster on the Defender so you may just see an improvement...but we'll see.

I want to hold each one, obviously, and see which one offers the more realistic protection for my case. I need the protection for camping and hiking but I won't be using the holster much unless it's an informal trip...

12. Mr. Biggles macrumors 6502

Are you just talking about the Otterbox or also that Vapor case you have your panties all bunched-up about?

13. JROC453 macrumors regular

I had a friend grab one for me Tuesday night. They knew I was waiting for the otterbox to come out and they saw this and called me to tell me the AT&T store had one. So they bought it for me and I installed it yesterday morning. Ok... so... once I opened the case I noticed many hair line scratches on the screen protector. After I rubbed the clear screen protector I noticed a lot more. This screen scratches so easily. I have a SPG Steinheil crystal on it now. I have the oily bubbles between the two screens. So I found the baby powder mod. I does get rid of the bubbles but I still have a little of the oil look. not to bad but now with the screen off I can see the powder between the screens. You can also see it with a white background. I bought a pack of AT&T's Anti glare screen's but I don't want to pull off my SPG. I was told the Anti glare also gets rid of the oil/bubbles but Im not to sure I want to take away from the quality that the iphone 4 display has. I don't know what to do. I was told the Otterbox is going to have the same problem with the screen as far as the air bubbles and the oil slick display. So not sure if I'm gonna have to install the anti glare anyway.

As far as the case goes... super strong. I feel I can throw the thing across I95 pick it up and not have a scratch, it's that strong, ugly, but strong. So they definitely built a solid case. But because of the look and how easily the built in screen scratches I will be returning this before the 30 days and hopefully the Otterbox will be selling.:cool:

14. pvbwerjr macrumors newbie

Ballistic FS

I removed the screen protector for this reason. Looks cleaner and most people have a screen protector on anyways. It felt horrible and made the oil slick effect on the screen, so it is now gone. In other news, it is for sale here: http://cgi.ebay.com/iPhone-4-Ballistic-HC-Case-/110559667258?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Cell_Phones&hash=item19bddea43a#ht_500wt_1154