Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
Yep. It does default to high accuracy. I just switch mine on whatever android device I use to battery saver.

I leave Bluetooth on in all my devices. With Bluetooth 4.1 we shouldn't be getting big drains whilst using or not using it.

Biggest impact on battery life on ANY android handset regardless of Ui has always been 'Google location history' buried in Google App settings. It is constantly poling your location and even with battery saver gps mode it adds significantly to the depreciation of your battery life.

Whilst you may not get 'automatic' traffic updates or such in Google Now cards with it turned off, the benefits of it off far outweigh it being on in my experience.

Does it affect finding your device with android device manager?

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Is it really fair to compare? I say no until Apple upgrades the display with QHD and more PPI.

Then we'll see how things shake out between other smartphones that have that type of display and how Iphones compare for battery life and performance. :)

Reactions: khha4113 and jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Screen on time isn't accurate really on the iPhone.

I went to bed last night with my phone to on 100% as it had charged right before I went to bed and when I woke up,it was still at 100% which is awesome but the it said 55 mins on screen time and really I used like 15 of that before bed. So screen on time is still being used when the screen is off.

I get a lot of Twitter notifications at night so this is why but my phone is always on do not disturb at night.

Most important stat for me is standby time and it's awesome. I get at least 3 hours most days. Got 44 yesterday for example.
totally agree. My iphone barley sip power on standby. It has got to be the best phone I have ever had when in standby. IOS is very optimised when it comes to battery.

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
That is the only way to do it. It maybe time consuming to you, but it works and it gives a decent idea of the SOT

1. Charge your phone to 100 percent.
2. Unplug in the morning.
3. Run the iPhone 6s Plus until 24 hours have elapsed.
4. Check the SOT for each app and add them together
5. That will be the total SOT for the 24 hours period that elapsed.
6. If you add the total SOT for all the apps for the past 24 hours to the background time for all the apps, you should get a very close number to the usage time.

Again, it only works for every 24 hour cycle. Anything above that or below that, then the SOT is worthless.

I know it is a PITA to do it this way, but there is no other way to do it. I will take this method over no method at all.
I replied to you earlier in the thread why it does NOT work on a 24 hour period. Could you please have a read.

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
The point of a smartphone is to use all its features on the fly. I get in my car and start my car and my Bluetooth connects so I can stream my music or my podcasts. The last thing I want to do is fidget with my phone to turn on Bluetooth after I start my car.

When I call on Siri to navigate to an address in my contacts the last thing that I want to hear is turn gps on and then I have to get distracted from driving to turn it on.

If you have to turn essential functions like Bluetooth and navigation off to get good battery life, then that is not a well optimized smartphone.
That is the thing, with Android you can automate everything. So once maps is launched, location automatically turns on. When you close it, it turns it off. Same for Bluetooth, once you launch your music player, it turns on Bluetooth and then turns it off when you close it.

nj1266

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2012
Long Beach, CA
I did try it. The screen times reported were not accurate. I posted a screenshot to prove my point. Now you say I have to WAIT 24 hours and not charge my phone...then list all the apps and their screen times and add them up. Sorry but that is just stupid to have to go to those lengths to get a total that might or might not be accurate. Then just because others are wearing a tin foil hat does not mean its the thing to do......

Yes you have to follow the steps I outlined for you. Otherwise it is not going to work. You MUST match the 24 hour screen time to the 24 hour stand by time. If you do not then the 24 hour screen time will be from the prior 24 hours. That is why in your screen shot the screen on time was higher than the usage time.

You go 24 hours and then do the math. That is the way it works. It is tedious, but it gives you as accurate SOT as you can possibly get.

I have done it twice and it works. You have not even done it once, yet you are adamant it does not. You did not do it for 24 hours. You tried for 88 minutes and gave up. You have no patience for it. That is fine. Just do not do it. Just do not claim that it does not work even though you have not tried.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Yes you have to follow the steps I outlined for you. Otherwise it is not going to work. You MUST match the 24 hour screen time to the 24 hour stand by time. If you do not then the 24 hour screen time will be from the prior 24 hours. That is why in your screen shot the screen on time was higher than the usage time.

You go 24 hours and then do the math. That is the way it works. It is tedious, but it gives you as accurate SOT as you can possibly get.

I have done it twice and it works. You have not even done it once, yet you are adamant it does not. You did not do it for 24 hours. You tried for 88 minutes and gave up. You have no patience for it. That is fine. Just do not do it. Just do not claim that it does not work even though you have not tried.
sorry...but I gave you proof it does not work. I gave you my screenshot that shows my iphone usage of 48 minutes yet the apps shows 88 minutes

tR0aEo0m.jpg

Others have commented the same. there is no way to accurately get SOT on IOS devices.
Sorry I am not going to wait 24 hours to bring out my calculator and add up screen time per app i have used over the last 24 hour period. Then for heaven's sake what if i forget to tally it up at the 24 hour mark? What if it's 30 hours. Your method is just plain dumb. Then how do you know the screen time it tells you at 24 hours is anymore accurate than my screenshot? You don't know....

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
sorry...but I gave you proof it does not work. I gave you my screenshot that shows my iphone usage of 48 minutes yet the apps shows 88 minutes

tR0aEo0m.jpg

Others have commented the same. there is no way to accurately get SOT on IOS devices.
Sorry I am not going to wait 24 hours to bring out my calculator and add up screen time per app i have used over the last 24 hour period. Then for heaven's sake what if i forget to tally it up at the 24 hour mark? What if it's 30 hours. Your method is just plain dumb. Then how do you know the screen time it tells you at 24 hours is anymore accurate than my screenshot? You don't know....

nj1266 is arguing for arguing sake when you have clearly shown him proof. Making claims that you have to wait 24 hours when I explained to him why that is not true, yet he completely ignores it. Send him this please:

"The SOT includes the prior 24 hours? I seriously doubt this. If this is so then Jamezr would have only used his phone for 88 minutes in a 24-30 hour period (if you add the other 6 hours). I don't want to speak for him but I doubt he only used his screen on his phone for that short time.
Jamezr is actually right.
The reason why it balances out after 24 hours is because you're not using your phone for majority of that 24 hours.
Hence if you have one hour usage and been using it for most of that hour switching between multiple apps, total SOT will be greater than usage. However if you used you barely used your phone for the next 3 hours, usage would likely surpass total SOT.".

Reactions: jamezr

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

tR0aEo0m.jpg

Also music will use screen on time while on android it won't.

On average my screen on time is about 12-14 hours daily but we all know that i havn't been using my phone with on screen time that long.

Reactions: jamezr

nj1266

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2012
Long Beach, CA

tR0aEo0m.jpg

You did not give anything of the sort. Here is what proof looks like. From the screenshots below:

Usage time=596 minutes
SOT=462 minutes
Stand by time=24 hrs and 14 min
Background time=114 min
SOT+background=576 minutes

SOT is less than usage time when you wait for 24 hrs like I said. SOT+background time is also less than usage time when you wait for 24 hrs standby time.

SOT+background time is only 20 min off from usage time. Considering that I did not do an exact 24 standby it is understandable that it is a bit off. Had I done an exact 24 hrs stand by time, then SOT+background time and usage time would be even closer to each other.
d8ddc44bf767be6e62daf80c708a9c69.jpg
603ab269e4f02810899c73479246706b.jpg
03dda88bc6704114b4598e8c87af0cc0.jpg

All the numbers are taken from the screenshots above.

If you do not want to do the work, then do not do it. But please do not claim that it is totally inaccurate. It is not.

Last edited:

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
You did not give anything of the sort. Here is what proof looks like. From the screenshots below:

Usage time=596 minutes
SOT=462 minutes
Background time=114 min

SOT is less than usage time when you wait for 24 hrs like I said. SOT+background time is also less than usage time when you wait for 24 hrs standby time.

SOT+background time is only 20 min off from usage time. Considering that I did not do an exact 24 standby it is understandable that it is a bit off. Had I done an exact 24 hrs stand by time, then SOT+background time and usage time would be even closer to each other.
d8ddc44bf767be6e62daf80c708a9c69.jpg
603ab269e4f02810899c73479246706b.jpg
03dda88bc6704114b4598e8c87af0cc0.jpg

If you do not want to do the work, then do not do it. But please do not claim that it is totally inaccurate. It is not.
You have still not replied to my counter...because you can't counter it. But continue to avoid what I said. That is how I know you're in denial.

By the way, what were you doing in your settings for 1.1 hours? Lol.

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

Usage time=596 minutes
SOT=462 minutes
Background time=114 min

Sorry....I will still stick to the same comments from the beginning...total BS. It's not accurate.
It's not about doing the work....you don't get it.
All you have done is show a wonky work around to a very suspects set of numbers. If those numbers are accurate why do you have to wait 24 hours to get accurate readings? Why not in real time? Exactly...they are not accurate. I and others have shown you how they are not not accurate yet still you persist. I will still stick to my original statement. There is now way in IOS to accurately get SOT time. The OS does not provide that information. Just because you have some system to add up screen time then wait 24 hours until the clock strikes midnight then bring out a calculator then add the numbers up.......doesn't make it accurate. It just shows what great lengths some will go to makeup for a shortcoming in IOS.
Blaze4G asked you questions about your process and have yet to answer them. Why?

nj1266

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Sorry....I will still stick to the same comments from the beginning...total BS. It's not accurate.
It's not about doing the work....you don't get it.
All you have done is show a wonky work around to a very suspects set of numbers. If those numbers are accurate why do you have to wait 24 hours to get accurate readings? Why not in real time? Exactly...they are not accurate. I and others have shown you how they are not not accurate yet still you persist. I will still stick to my original statement. There is now way in IOS to accurately get SOT time. The OS does not provide that information. Just because you have some system to add up screen time then wait 24 hours until the clock strikes midnight then bring out a calculator then add the numbers up.......doesn't make it accurate. It just shows what great lengths some will go to makeup for a shortcoming in IOS.
Blaze4G asked you questions about your process and have yet to answer them. Why?

My debate is with you. I answered you. My debate is not with Blaze. Clearly what you stated was wrong. You can get SOT from the data and it is not higher than the usage time. For a 24+ hour period the SOT will be less than the usage time. You said the opposite. I proved it wrong using the screenshots.

You must wait 24 hours because SOT is measured in 24 hour interval. That is the way it is presented on the screen. It says so on the heading "Last 24 Hours." If you want to get as accurate SOT as possible then you must match the "last 24 hours" SOT to a 24 hours Stand By time.

You can choose to use, for example, 33 or 34 hours Stand by time, but the SOT during this time period will only cover the last 24 hours of the 33-34 hours. That is the way Apple set it up. You cannot choose less than 24 hours stand by time because the SOT will be pulled from the prior stand by time.

In your screenshot you chose a time period less than 24 hours whereas the SOT is reported in 24 hour intervals. That is why your SOT was higher than the usage time.

I agree that it is a PITA to do it this way, but it works and gives you as accurate an approximation of the SOT on an iPhone using iOS 9.

If you do not want to put the effort into doing it, that is your choice. But please do not claim that it does not work because I showed you with screen shots and numbers that it does. I got 7.7 hours SOT and I showed you how to do it. You have not even tried to do it and you claim that it does not work. Try it first for a 24 hour period and post your screen shots to prove me wrong. Otherwise, you have no data to back up what you say.

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
My debate is with you. I answered you. Clearly what you stated was wrong. You can get SOT from the data and it is not higher than the usage time. You said the opposite. I proved it wrong using the screenshots..
Sorry but it is the other way around. I proved you wrong and so have others. But go ahead...stand on one leg.....jump up and down while singing wearing a tinfoil hat.
Again here is my screenshot. It disproves your whole theory 48 minutes useage versus 88 minutes of screentime.
Not accurate even if you wait 24 hours its still not accurate :p

tR0aEo0m.jpg
tR0aEo0m.jpg

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
My debate is with you. I answered you. My debate is not with Blaze. Clearly what you stated was wrong. You can get SOT from the data and it is not higher than the usage time. For a 24+ hour period the SOT will be less than the usage time. You said the opposite. I proved it wrong using the screenshots.

You must wait 24 hours because SOT is measured in 24 hour interval. That is the way it is presented on the screen. It says so on the heading "Last 24 Hours." If you want to get as accurate SOT as possible then you must match the "last 24 hours" SOT to a 24 hours Stand By time.

You can choose to use, for example, 33 or 34 hours Stand by time, but the SOT during this time period will only cover the last 24 hours of the 33-34 hours. That is the way Apple set it up. You cannot choose less than 24 hours stand by time because the SOT will be pulled from the prior stand by time.

In your screenshot you chose a time period less than 24 hours whereas the SOT is reported in 24 hour intervals. That is why your SOT was higher than the usage time.

I agree that it is a PITA to do it this way, but it works and gives you as accurate an approximation of the SOT on an iPhone using iOS 9.

If you do not want to put the effort into doing it, that is your choice. But please do not claim that it does not work because I showed you with screen shots and numbers that it does. I got 7.7 hours SOT and I showed you how to do it. You have not even tried to do it and you claim that it does not work. Try it first for a 24 hour period and post your screen shots to prove me wrong. Otherwise, you have no data to back up what you say.
Still waiting on your reply to my counter. Someone poses a counter to your argument proving it to be false and you're afraid / scared to reply to it. Ah well.

nj1266

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Sorry but it is the other way around. I proved you wrong and so have others. But go ahead...stand on one leg.....jump up and down while singing wearing a tinfoil hat.
Again here is my screenshot. It disproves your whole theory 48 minutes useage versus 88 minutes of screentime.

tR0aEo0m.jpg
tR0aEo0m.jpg

You did not do a 24 hour stand by time. Your screen shots are 6.xx hours stand by time. You MUST DO a 24 hour stand by time. You MUST match the stand by time to the SOT time. You are so concerned about being proven wrong, that you even refuse to try a 24 hour stand by time and 24 hour SOT period.

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015

tR0aEo0m.jpg
tR0aEo0m.jpg
Hey Jamezr, could you please copy and paste my counter since he is only debating with you. Also could you ask him why he was in his settings menu for 1.1 hours. Thanks.

nj1266

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Is my settings menu your only concern. Easily explained my friend. I set up this iPhone 6s Plus as new. My previous iPhone 6 was jail broken. When I restored fro the 6 the data was corrupted. So I had to set the iPhone as new. I had to go through the settings menu screen by screen to match the settings to the ones I had on the iPhone 6. That took a lot of time because there so many menus and sub-menus that I change to set up my iPhone the way I like it.

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
Is my settings menu your only concern. Easily explained my friend. I set up this iPhone 6s Plus as new. My previous iPhone 6 was jail broken. When I restored fro the 6 the data was corrupted. So I had to set the iPhone as new. I had to go through the settings menu screen by screen to match the settings to the ones I had on the iPhone 6. That took a lot of time because there so many menus and sub-menus that I change to set up my iPhone the way I like it.
Let me quote you again with what my counter was. I will continue to watch you ignore it because you can't discredit my counter.

"The SOT includes the prior 24 hours? I seriously doubt this. If this is so then Jamezr would have only used his phone for 88 minutes in a 24-30 hour period (if you add the other 6 hours). I don't want to speak for him but I doubt he only used his screen on his phone for that short time.
The reason why it balances out after 24 hours is because you're not using your phone for majority of that 24 hours.
Hence if you have one hour usage and been using it for most of that hour switching between multiple apps, total SOT will be greater than usage. However if you used you barely used your phone for the next 3 hours, usage would likely surpass total SOT."

nj1266

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Here is another screen on time sequence that I just finished. This time I let the standby time go all the way to 33 hours and 53 minutes. But the SOT only reports the last 24 hours. The math is below and then the screenshots:

SOT=384 minutes=6.4 hours
Background T=192 minutes=3.2 hours
SOT+Background T=576 minutes
Usage T=681 minutes
Standby T=2033 minutes

Here, again, SOT+Background T is less than usage time. I have yet to see usage time be higher than SOT+Background T for a 24 hours or more standby time.
So if we use a 24 hour period then we should get SOT+Background T<Usage T<Standby T. I doubt it will ever be anything different than that.

Here are the screenshots:

ddb8d9d18b6fe4033b6ebe0af465ea8e.jpg
7b2594f710dcfe2b20b47b52bb12f732.jpg

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Just a question. In 9.2 if you click the clock icon you get the actual screen on time of each app. Wouldn't just adding them up give you your screen on time ?

4aa076fff127bd5f64fdaefa37917762.jpg

For example my screen on time is just over 4 hours adding the usage up here which is accurate based on my usage today.

Or am I missing something here ?

Though to be honest, since everyone is in agreement the 6S+ is one of the best for battery generally - what is the arguing about ? Honestly I've lost track of what the point of contention was ...

Last edited:

nj1266

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Let me quote you again with what my counter was. I will continue to watch you ignore it because you can't discredit my counter.

Hence if you have one hour usage and been using it for most of that hour switching between multiple apps, total SOT will be greater than usage. However if you used you barely used your phone for the next 3 hours, usage would likely surpass total SOT."

SOT will never be greater than usage time for a 24 hours period. It is not going to happen I will even go further and say that SOT+background time will never be higher than usage time for a 24 hour period or more.

Try it if you have an iPhone on iOS 9. Run your iPhone like you normally do for a 24 hour period. And then post the screenshots so we can see them. Summarize the screenshots in minutes like I did in my two posts. Go ahead. Prove that SOT will be higher than usage time for a 24 hour period or more. I challenge you and Jamezr to do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.