How is the build quality of your ipad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by auero, Mar 23, 2011.

?

How is the build quality of your iPad 2?

1. Great!

54.7%
  2. Back light bleeding

30.7%
  3. Dings/Scratches

2.7%
  4. Both screen and costmetic blemishes

12.0%
  1. auero macrumors 65816

I'm just curious of the quality control of Apple after my visit today.

My original 32GB AT&T model arrived beaten up and scratched but a quick trip to the store had it replaced. I then noticed the horrible back light bleed so I went back today.

We opened 4 brand new iPads and everyone of them were scratched or dented. The manager was so embarrassed because they ran out of replacements. They said they'll call me when they get a new one. They even tried a 16GB model but no go.

I'm also not being picky. A tiny little mark isn't that big of a deal to me but these were legit deep scratches and dings.

So how did your iPad arrive?

2. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

got it launch day, perfect and pristine out of the box.
    No scratches, no glue, yellowing, spots, dead pixels, and if it weren't for the thread with pics, I would never have noticed the (very minimal) backlight bleeding.

I really lucked out with my beauty. 64GB White wifi.

3. ipodlover77 macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

got mine on launch day. everything was tip top. only flaw i could see was the trim around that screen had 2-3 small warped areas. not noticeable unless you were looking for it.

4. auero thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm jealous. My first 32 actually had a little glue or something shiny around the screen in gulps. I just wonder if perhaps apple may be getting sloppy because they want to get more out.

5. shadrap macrumors 6502

Add dead pixels to the poll. I have one, but it could be worse.

6. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

So 8 out of 8 are somehow defective/non-perfect in these first 3 posts?:eek:

Ouch

7. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

Very minor light bleeding. Not noticeable in normal usage, but I can see it if I do the silly black screen/dark room test. Doesn't bother me since I have yet to notice it while actually using it, including watching letter boxed videos etc.

8. FutureStan macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Wow, this is making me reconsider getting it, at least not before all this craziness end.

9. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

My 64gb wifi had a small little black spot. Almost looked like a grain of pepper. Took it to the apple store and they swapped it out. However it was in a brown box instead of a retail iPad 2. But this one appears to be flawless.

10. Khryz macrumors 6502a

Light bleeding here. Doesn't seem very noticeable under normal use, but definitely in the dark (not stupid pitch blackroom test, but just dark like with the TV on and stuff).

Still going to exchange it, but not in a rush I don't think unless I find it's worse than originally thought .. (just got it an hour ago).

11. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Had a dead pixel on the first iPad 2 and this new one seems to have an uneven bezel but not bad enough to warrant a return.

12. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

I dont have the ipad 2 but i certainly dont recall seeing this many complaints about build issues with the ipad 1

13. auero thread starter macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

The quality of the first iPad makes me want to buy one and save myself the cash. :(

14. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

Got an iPad 2 yesterday and as far as I can tell, the construction is solid. No glue, yellowing, uneven glass, dead pixels or noticeable under everyday usage light bleed.

15. MrMac'n'Cheese macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

Mine has one dead pixel, which I dont mind too much and can endure, but it also has backlight bleeding and slight dings/abrasions straight out of the box, I'm holding onto it for now, while I decide a course of action.

16. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I can find nothing wrong with mine at all. I'm totally satisfied with the quality of the unit.

17. iLucas macrumors 6502

My iPad 2 came in pristine condition.
    I have not noticed any problems whatsoever since getting it.

Perfect condition imo

18. Higgs1 macrumors 6502

Higgs1

19. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

A minor nick in the aluminum finish by the 3G black strip. I noticed it as soon as I removed the plastic. Minor backlight bleed, but I don't notice it except on the test image.

20. aserafin macrumors member

Got a great unit here! Relieved after reading all of the other posts!

21. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

My iPad 2 has one stuck pixel. But I can live with it. My iPad 1 also had 1 dead pixel and my 11inch MBA has a super bright pixel.

22. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

Mine has almost unnoticable light bleeding but other than that is arrived perfect. There was a little glue goop in one spot but I cleaned that off with my thumbnail.

23. iPadPublisher macrumors 6502

No problems whatsoever.

Picked up two units Monday from local Best Buy. 32GB white WiFi and 64GB 3G White.

Neither have ANY of the mentioned problems. Since I'd had more than a week to see the pics on here with backlight bleeding, yellowing, scratches, etc. I was extremely paranoid and opened them in the store with the cashier watching. Thankfully nothing was wrong.

I was one of the guys who got stuck with the yellow screen problem on the iPhone 4, but not this time. Sorry to hear about all the scratches and such... that's a real drag.

24. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Everyone please understand this poll is not using a representative sample.

25. seanpholman macrumors regular

Mine is nearly perfect, but I just noticed that the trim piece between the glass and bezel is very slightly loose in the upper left corner. Just going to keep my eye on it or now.

--Sean