How is the coating on the space grey rMB?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by east85, Sep 28, 2015.

1. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

I'm just curious as to how it is. Seems like in the past anything without the coating seemed to hold up much better against abuse because the coating scraped off somewhat easily on multiple products (iPad, iPhone). Anyone experience a scuff in their coating yet?

2. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

Only ever heard of the Black iPhone 5 really having this problem. The space grey rMB has held up very well, no flakiness at all in the anodized layer...but I have no scratches either and have only had mine for 3 months.

3. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

certainly nothing coming off of mine. The only place I've noticed anything at all is at the usb-c port connector where there is a little bit of marring. Apple could have prevented even this if they had put a plastic tip on the usb-cable the way one of the Cable Matters cables I bought has.

4. Four by Six macrumors newbie

My SG rMB has been shared by a family of 5 since release, including being carried in purses and school backpacks. When I went to reclaim it for my own use, it looked trashed. After a thorough wiping with just a damp microfiber cloth and canned air, I was surprised to see it look new with no permanent wear or scratches.

5. polee, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015

polee macrumors 6502a

polee

Mine has two light scratches. It is five months old. Overall it has aged well. I am happy with it.

6. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

My Space Grey MacBook is pretty new, but not any blemishes yet

7. Nychot macrumors 6502a

i have a see through cover on my gold rmb. it will NEVER show wear. I always use those. Have one on my 2014 mba 11" and on my 15" mbp.

8. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

Space Grey here - no issues. Still looks just as lovely as the day I bought it.

9. neurodave macrumors member

Not a single, scratch, blemish or discoloration since I got it in June.

10. GreyStreet123 macrumors newbie

My SG rMB looks fantastic. Only a month old, but still.

One thing I HAVE noticed, though, is that "residue" seems to build up at the edges of the metallic Apple logo. I clean the machine every week and notice that it's difficult to keep the edges of the logo clean. Anyone else notice this? Not a big deal at all; just an observation!

11. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

I kind of like this marring look on the inside of the usb-c port, shows I've been enjoying my rMB :)

[​IMG]

12. east85 thread starter macrumors 65816

east85

I did a little googling and noticed the marring issue on a reddit thread, interesting. Doesn't look that bad though.