Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are there concerns with the cooling for Mac Mini 2018?

• Total voters

mralexandercom

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2018
Are there any concerns for the cooling system?

Since there is only 1 fan there and it is a rather tight box that houses all the components?

Would it overheat?

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Drill and a big supplemental fan ... works great on my MBP (well, not the drill part :D)

IMG_4483-2.JPEG

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
Apple specifies the older unibody minis at 85W. The 2018 mini is specified up to 150W, so the cooling system better be improved and hopefully at least as quiet under low/normal load - which is basically silent - as the 2012 gen.

If it’d be less noisy than the 2012 under load, it would be the icing on the cake. Really looking forward to the reviews incoming ...

Reactions: ElectronGuru

Mol1n

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2018
The base 5k iMac is praised for remaining cool and quiet even when worked hard. What is the chance of that happening for the Mini even for the i3 model?

iZeljko

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2018
North Sea
It will be interesting to see who will the i5 and i7 perform.
Hope the i7 will run reasonably cool as that is the one I'm looking after.

SpacemanSpiffed

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2013
Pacific NW
The quality of the engineering of the cooling system, and the materials used can make a huge difference.

Quietness of the mini has always been a very high priority for Apple (along with low energy usage) .. I expect it has remained so, and Apple has the talent and willingness to go the extra mile in making a bespoke and custom cooling solution.

Reactions: kaibob

Easttime

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2015
This was my first thought on seeing the welcome release of the new 2018 mini. Waiting for real world experience reports. This summer during an unusual heat wave, my 2014 mini had problems with heat that I resolved with a desk fan.

Reactions: StellarVixen

kaibob

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
Prescott, Arizona
The specs for the new mini on the Apple site include the following:

"Typical acoustical performance: Sound pressure level (operator position): 4 dBA at idle"

The sound pressure level at idle is not a very significant figure, but 4 dBA is very quiet. Also, Apple does not include a sound-level spec for any other Mac, which could indicate special attention was given to producing a quiet mini.

This is all speculation, but my guess is that the new mini will be an acceptably quiet machine--enough so that I've already ordered an I5 mini.

Reactions: ElectronGuru

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
There is no way to answer the OP's questions yet.

The production Mini's haven't come into users' hands yet.

Only after they do, will we begin to see real-world reports under actual use scenarios.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
The sound pressure level at idle is not a very significant figure, but 4 dBA is very quiet. Also, Apple does not include a sound-level spec for any other Mac, which could indicate special attention was given to producing a quiet mini.

In the world of house fans (air king etc), you can get more air with less noise by running two fans on low instead of one fan on high (of the same size). If that holds true in miniature, I would expect a bigger fan to produce less dB while generating more flow/cooling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.