Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ninjaboi21

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
The title pretty much describes it all: how is the heat on the new 2011 top 15" MBP with the 6750 AMD?

I will be using the MBP for some light Photoshop, web browsing, studying, photos etc. - the changes I will make is hi-res glossy screen and 7200 RPM harddrive instead of bigger 5400 RPM. It would not surprise me if the heat is high when playing games, but how is it when doing casual stuff, what can I expect? Is the metal all cool, some slight heat or annoying heat?

If I am gaming, MW2 or WoW, will it produce heat enough to annoy? I've never had a MacBook Pro before, and the only people I know with one has the 13" which is all cool. Went to an Apple Reseller earlier to see the MBP 15", but it was the low-end but were totally cool.

Thank you in advance.

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Mine is pretty hot when gaming on the bottom but where i rest my palms stays very cool.

I am used to gaming on a laptop so somewhat used to the heat it generates, it will get very hot if resting on your lap, however it wont get that hot you feel like it is going to burn you.

A cheaper laptop will be cooler to touch because the plastic does not conduct heat as well as the aluminium unibody of the macbook too so take that into consideration.

basically when gaming it does get hot, but its something you get used to, on friday it shocked me a bit how hot it was and then after playing BTTF and RIFT all weekend i am not conerened about the temperature at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.