How is the hinge on the current models?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Caris, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Caris macrumors 6502a

Caris

I know when the very the very first Air came out the hinge was shocking on it, I read threads and saw pictures of it breaking all the time.

I'm thinking about going out today and picking up an Air but I want to know what the hinges are like on the new models, do they still have the same issues or has Apple sorted them?

2. jj48 macrumors regular

The latest models might not be old enough to really test out the longevity of the hinges. Having said that I can't see the hinge ever breaking, it just feels so solid and secure.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

No problems on my fairly new 13" Feels solid and well made.

4. recryl macrumors newbie

Mine is fine

The hinges on my medio 2011 MBA seem just as robust as ever, even though I don't always treat it as mildly as I maybe should. When in a hurry, I more than once flipped the screen open with more force than necessary, so that the screen went back as far as it could. Even so, the hinges show no sign of wear. AFAIK, the hinges are not an issue on newer MBAs.

5. turbotoes macrumors regular

The hinge on my 13" air is good and strong, has no problem holding in what ever position I put it in, and that is with an Incipio feather case on it.

6. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

mine is lovely, thanks.

7. KPOM macrumors G5

With the 2010 revision, the hinges were redesigned completely and have been rock solid. I bought my 2011 on Day 1 and it is just as good now as it was 6 months ago.

8. gentlefury macrumors 68030

2011 11" is quite solid...but seeing as how it isn't even a year old yet, there is no real way to tell how it will stand up to time.

9. KPOM macrumors G5

Ask someone with a late 2010 model. It's the same design.

10. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I have a friend with a 2010 and his is still perfectly fine. I think much like anything, it really depends on how rough you are with it...if you are tossing it around it will break.

11. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

I have a 2010 11" ultimate and a pair of 2011 Airs...the 13" i5 and 11" i7. They go with my wife and I everywhere! Our 2010 is now relegated to our son...he's 7 years old and treats it very well...we hooked it up to a monitor in his room. We've owned it since the week of launch (as well as the two 2011s). No Problem. He opens and shuts his everyday (again, in his room...it goes Nowhere!). I didn't own one of the originals...but I can speak for the longevity of the "new" design. It's excellent!

Jer

12. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

No problems here either, and I have models from 2010 and 2011.

13. nylon macrumors 65816

nylon

14. calvol macrumors 6502a

2010 13" MBA, one year old, no problem at all, even with the added weight of the Speck case (upper half only, bottom Speck case broke).

15. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

2010 13" MBA. Hinge is just like new.

I had the first gen Air as well, and there is none of the wobble or looseness in the 2010. They seemed to have fixed it.

16. ericDylan macrumors regular

+1

it is surprisingly stiff given its ability to open with a finger!

Even with the speck satin case on it. I do notice that gravity does pull it down more with the case on. whether i pick it up from the bottom and the screen almost falls all the way open or when i close it and it closes itself the last few inches. Regardless, it is super stiff and the best hinge I have ever had on my laptop.

17. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

The hinge on my 11" 2010 was slightly loose. I brought it to the apple store to compare with the display models. All the 13" were tight and 2 of six 11" were loose.

What I mean by loose is that, if I picked up my MBA with the display open, the acceleration would cause the display to close shut into the clamshell mode. Apple replaced the display and I had the same problem so I got a replacement.

18. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

That's not too bad, then. What I meant by loose on the first gen. was that I couldn't use it outside, because the slightest breeze would make the lid sway back and forth almost 2 inches.

19. arsenebojangles macrumors newbie

I have a 2011 Macbook Air. The hinge doesn't seem like it will pose the problem of coming loose. However, the black piece of plastic has bent out of place slightly. Not exactly a functional issue but is a bit annoying and seems to be have happened to a few people I know. It's an incredibly minor issue and probably only seen with particular attention to detail.

The hinges are sturdy, the black plastic in the middle, not particularly.

20. ecib macrumors regular

ecib

Had it about a year and it's rock solid. I wasn't aware that there were ever any issues, so I don't baby it or anything.