How is the iPhone's EQ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mo25, Feb 6, 2011.

1. mo25 macrumors member

My vzw iPhone should be coming in a couple of hours and I had a few questions relating to his music capabilities.

ATM, I'm using a netbook with about 20 gigs of music plugged into the AUX connection of my car and I use winamp (best music player ever made) to listen to everything. The preset in winamp's EQ "full bass and treble" has been what I've used for almost 12 years now. It plays all the music I listen to beautifully and really plays a bunch of notes that I wouldn't hear regularly.

I've used my HTC Incredible as a music player to see how it works and even with an EQ (and it was a pretty ****** one), it just doesn't sound as good as when I use my netbook as my music player. So I was wondering how the iPhone is as a music player when you plug it in via AUX/ipod connector and if it has a good EQ with good working presets.

2. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

Imo the eq on the iPod and iPhone is crap. Sure it changes the sound, but it also adds distortion. Mine is set to off at all times. Get a decent set of headphones and forget about the eq.

3. bursthead macrumors 6502

bursthead

If you want decent sound get a portable amplifier..

4. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

Turn the iPhone EQ off and EQ your stereo. That's what I do and it sounds great.

5. gwang73 macrumors 6502a

gwang73

Yup, the EQ pretty much sucks. Apple changed all the EQ settings so nothing boosts, it only lowers each freq. setting whereas all others boost the freq. signals.

6. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

They did? That sucks... It's been since 2007 since I've tried using the iPhone EQ.

7. mo25 thread starter macrumors member

My stereo doesn't have an EQ, this is for car audio as I explained in my OP.

8. Roadking macrumors 6502

Most car stereos have basic eq adjustments. There are also aftermarket eq's for car stereos.

9. mo25 thread starter macrumors member

I have an 08 TL type S, the only EQ I can adjust is treble and bass for my speakers. I have an AFTMKT amb and sub installed. I do all EQ adjustment through winamp.. I was just hoping I wouldn't have to use my netbook anymore as my media player.

10. Roadking macrumors 6502

you can keep your factory head unit and add an aftermarket equalizer between your head unit and your aftermarket amp. you have a choice between a inside "cab" install and one that is mounted in the trunk/under seat. Since you currently already have aftermarket stuff there is no reason to continue using your netbook. Well, unless it is a cost issue. Good luck, I am sure you will find something that suits your taste.

11. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I just downloaded an app called EQu, it gets good reviews from an audio site I'm on. I'm going to check it out this afternoon and I'll let you know my impressions.