How is the iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by airjuggernaut, Nov 29, 2007.

1. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

I just want to ask current iPod Touch owners, how is it like using day to day?

My problem is, I have 300 bucks right now.
    I sold my old MP3 player, and have been MP3 less for a month now :|
    I'm slowly starting to loose my sanity without my Music

I have choice, either get the 80gb Classic or the 8 gb Touch.

I only have about 3gb of Music, and a few videos.

Now what I like about the Classic is, I can put EVERYTHING i could possibly need into it. I also like the fact that it is easy to maintain and carry around.

The iPod touch is absolutely amazing looking. But the 8gb kind of seems limiting but liveable with, and I worry about it's functionality as an iPod, because I will use my iPod for music more than anything. Then there is also the size issue...

So do you guys think I should go for the Classic or iPod Touch?
    How are you guys liking it?

2. PuppyLuv macrumors member

I would recommend the iPod touch, if possible you could save up another $100 and purchase the 16gb model, which should give you enough room for 3gb of music and several videos.. about $20 cheaper here: http://www.macmall.com/macmall/families/ipod/default~family~12.asp and http://www.amazon.com/Apple-16-GB-i...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1196395792&sr=8-1

3. Reimer macrumors regular

Reimer

the touch is great but if music playback is important to you, the touch is a bit of a pain in the ass. There are all the issues with controlling an mp3 player with a touch screen. You have to take it out of your pocket every time you want to change the volume or change a track. If you decide on a touch, you might want to look into getting a remote.

4. rafacq macrumors newbie

i purchased an 8 gig iPod touch over a month ago. Its my 4th iPod. Though it does not have the capacity of my 60gig video iPod (my mac music library is about 80gigs) I have learned to create several playlists to keep the Touch music library to no more than 3gig. Where on my Video iPod i sync manually, I autosync everyhing on the Touch. I autosync the music playlists (I name any playlist for the Touch to start with a plus sign), a few photos, some podcasts - Mac OS Ken is my favorite, and still have room for 2 to 3 movies if I go traveling.

The great thing I like about the TOUCH is using the WiFi connectivity to check my email. I wake up in the morning, and in less than 10 seconds, I am reading my email right in bed!

I hacked mine with jailbreak and installed the "other" applications that Apple decided to leave out, Mail, Notes, Weather and Stocks. I actually have cut down the time I spend on my Mac.

The only thing I wish right now is for the Touch to autosync to my Mac via WiFi instead of the USB cable.

IMHO... The iPod Touch rocks!

5. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

try to get teh extra 100 bucks for the 16 GB
    its wel worth the extra hundred bucks.
    plus the 8 Gb will quickly be replaced ...prob by late next year.

they both have their positive and negatives. play with them in the apple store for a good 30 mins and decide what you like best.

6. zirkle2007 macrumors 6502

zirkle2007

I'm throwing my vote in for the touch. Owning a few iPods I think I have a good idea about them. :) Anyways, the touch has replaced them all. I barely use them. My 30 Gb Video is pretty much collecting dust. And seriously, how often do you actually NEED all 30+ Gb's of music? I have the 8 Gb and it works perfectly. I usually am only listening to a few cds at a time anyways. I will say the video size is a drawback. If you are serious about videos, I would get the Classic or save for the 16 Gb. But I say touch all the way.

Bonus Feature: You stand out, its not your every day iPod!

Plus if you don't mind jailbreaking, you can get the iPhone apps, and like the post above, the wifi is amazing for mail. Not to mention the wifi iTunes store!!!

7. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I love mine. Especially after jailbreaking it. A new app. I recently installed that I'm really happy with is the last.fm scrobbler for ipod touch!

8. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

The iPod Touch rocks, you might find yourself using the iTunes WiFi Music Store a lot as well... And its good to have internet on the go, and you can just tkae it out your pocket and click the home button twice to get music controls no matter where you are, so its good when you get used to it really.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I had a good long play with an iPod Touch the other day, whilst they're incredible machines I'd much rather wait for a huge boost in the drive capacity. If you don't need the space I'd say get one; music, video, internet in one sexy block of metal and glass is fantastic.

10. altaprod macrumors regular

altaprod

I like my iPod Touch so much that . . .

. . . I was excited to see your questions just so I could respond.

I agree with the others that this is an awesome iPod because of the internet, youtube, calendar, etc. If you only want music, I can't recommend. But if you're wanting to do more (a LOT MORE) than you have to get the Touch.

Just take a look at the nearly 40 apps I have.

For a guy stuck in a foreign country, it's one of my top sources of entertainment: Movies, Music, Internet, Games, Email, Weather, Stocks, etc.; And I've been impressed with the battery life so far. Knock on wood.

Wish Japan had more free wifi. :(

Ken

Attached Files:

11. bailey35mm macrumors newbie

Since getting my Touch 3 weeks ago, I have found a lot of free wifi here in the Nagoya area. Check Mcdonalds, since most have free wifi. Also it seems most Family Marts have accessible wifi along many other places I was surprised to find I could jump onto.

12. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I'm using mine right now in a book store. I'm surprised no one is asking me about it. I love wifi

13. tennez macrumors regular

Dude you better get the touch! You gonna love it!

Music wise, it keeps being an ipod and you can access your music from every single app you use.

14. -Dark Angel- macrumors 6502

Its simply awesome! Sure the storage is small but this is my 1st iPod and I'm used to manually manage my music and videos. Ever since getting this iPod I was forced to go through my DVD collection and convert it for iTunes and now its my lil anime&movie player/pda/games and podcasting device. Because of the Touch I also realized how cool iTunes really is at being your all in one digital library. Now with my dvd collection converted and on itunes I don't have to get up and go to my dvd library to see what to watch, now I just use the coverflow to see what catches my eye. Very cool indeed. :)

15. mmfy macrumors regular

I must say, this is my 2nd iPod and the touch rocks, not because off the music playback (having to look with no buttons is annoying at times) or other standard iPod apps you can enjoy with any other player out there (watching a movie is pleasurable though, ut coverflow is so-so after a day or two) but the SCREEN SIZE added to the 3rd-party jailbroken apps (I'm already reading eBooks and comics via PDFviewer, NES games from childhood, and playing music quiz games etc). Well worth $299 for 8 GB. It has a few memory issues (you have to reboot it once a day if jailbroken to free up ram I suspect) but it's the most enjoyable PMP I've used to date.

16. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I love mine. The only thing that could make it better is a phone and 3G.

*rubs hands together*

17. Richard.John macrumors regular

Do you know that virtually every McDonalds has Yahoo BB Mobilepoint? It's not free. I pay 500 yen a month for access.

18. Jon WB macrumors newbie

When buying an iPod you realy need to think about what you realy realy need.

If are someone who over time is going to a big video/music colection get a iPod classic

If you are someone who just wants a few tracks maby a video get an iPod nano

if you want a gaget with not to much memory but with lots of extras get an ipod touch

19. -Dark Angel- macrumors 6502

I don't know, I'd say if your a big movie fan (like me, mostly using it as a movie player) I'd say get the touch because of the bigger screen. Sure you can't carry alot but its not that hard to switch out movies.

20. airjuggernaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks everyone.

Im definitely leaning towards the iPod Touch 8gb now.
    I wish I had more money for the 16gb, but I really don't want to have to wait till Jan or Feb to get one.
    Im dyeing without my Music :p
    Will tell you what i got Tommorow :D

21. duraace macrumors member

The Touch is the most amazing device I've ever owned, and I've had many. It's a thing that fits in your pocket and does everything; especially, if you've jailbreak'd it. My 16 gig is Jailbreak'd and 100% reliable. The video is incredible, the music quality exceeds my first generation iPod Nano. I've got TV going into my iMac, that automatically gets exported to the Touch via iTunes. I watch BBC news at Starbucks. I love this thing.

22. airjuggernaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just letting everyone know.........I got iPod touch, I'm posting this from it :D Its freaking amazing! I'd like to thank everyone who suggested it. I definetley don't regret it one bit:)