How is the keyboard holding up?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Sensamic, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Sensamic macrumors 68030

I would like to know if owners of the MacBook 2015/16 have had any issues with stuck keys in the keyboard or unresponsive keys after a while owning the laptop.

Does it work like day one after one year?

Thanks.

2. Sensamic thread starter macrumors 68030

3. rob.james.arias macrumors regular

rob.james.arias

Only had 3 keyboard replacements. Today they just gave me a new machine. The keys on the 2016 machine feel much better than on the 2015. I am guessing there are some changes, however only time will tell.

4. evec, Oct 29, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2016

evec macrumors regular

I get a MB2015 refurb on this year July ( manufacturing in mid of June ), the keyboard much better that i purchased on early 2015 that i returned within a week because of real bad feeling of keyboard.

The machine purchased this year init has a little be stuck on space and delete key when push on edge of the keypad, after few days , the stuck had gone .

5. Sensamic thread starter macrumors 68030

Do you guys think the 2016 really is improved over the 2015?

So I guess the 2016 MB Pro also has an improved keyboard with more travel maybe?

6. SumNextGai macrumors newbie

According to the most recent keynote, the 2016 MacBook Pro has the second generation of the "butterfly" switches.

7. iscajal macrumors member

MB: I had both the 2015 and now have the 2016, after a long history of keyboard-related issues, with keys being sunk in, butterfly clips broken, the rubber domes underneath collapsed. All in all 6 swaps (who can remember), sometimes many weeks without a device. This was all either new/out of the shop keyboards, or something that happened within the month - not something I did to them with abuse.

My 2016 device was manufactured end of August. The keyboard feels somewhat different to the 2015 iterations I had before. But it's definitely NOT a significant redesign.

It feels *slightly* more accented, with a tiny bit more warmth and volume to the clicks. I think they did some iterative changes to the manufacturing (not the design) to make it more robust - maybe swap out the rubber dome plastics underneath - but as far as me liking it more, it's a tossup. This one STILL has non-uniform keys (some are ever so slightly slanted and feel differently). 2/10 would not buy again. :D

Oh, the rest of the hardware is nice though.

8. SumNextGai macrumors newbie

I bought my 2016 MacBook at the beginning of October, I wrote some papers for college and the keys are still fine so far.

9. Sensamic thread starter macrumors 68030

I've read many people having stuck keys and other keyboard problems. That's my main concern with the new MacBook Pro keyboard.

10. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

First gen vs second gen butterfly.

When will the 12" get the second gen? That's the only thing keeping me from buying it.

11. Sensamic thread starter macrumors 68030