How is the Kindle touch like?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by piatti, Mar 26, 2012.

1. piatti macrumors 6502a

piatti

I was thinking of getting one, it seemed like the most convenient way to read a book.

2. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

I like the feel of the Nook much better. The Kindle feels quite cheap, while the Nook has a nice surface on the back.

Also, Kindle doesn't natively support the ePub format which is what all of the libraries over here lend out their ebooks in. Sure, you can get around it, buy why the hassle? It might be would be worth checking out which format your local library offers.

In the end, the biggest difference was that the kindle felt like cheap plastic-like crap, while the nook felt better in the hand, with the coating on the back.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

While that might be the case in Europe it is not the case in the United States, where the OP lives. If this was even an issue, the Kindle format is much more popular with libraries especially with Amazon's borrowing program.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000718231

Subjective. The Kindle feels just fine. The best thing to do would be to go and hold each one and decide for yourself.

4. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

good for you.

i still think the Kindle feels like a cheap CASIO calculator from the '80s, and that's being generous.

5. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

A non-issue, seeing how there's a free program, Calibre, that can convert between the various formats.

Again, a non-issue. I like having my readers in a protective case. There are rubberized cases that makes holding the e-reader much, much easier.

Anyhow, back on topic. I'm not a fan of the touchscreen interface. I've read too many negative reviews regarding the interface on these e-readers (Nook Touch and Kobo) going bonkers after a while. Maybe when they have the bugs worked out of the system, I'd be interested. I got a Kindle Keyboard instead (the Kindle Touch was available for a month at the time). I'm pretty happy with it. My only complaint would be that it's too thin to hold comfortably for long periods of time. I like the thickness of the Sony readers.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

"Good for you." The Kindle has outsold the Nook, so clearly you're in the minority. But that's fine... because your opinion has the same weight as anyone else's.

7. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

My opinion is offended by that statement...;):D

8. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I have the latest generation Kindle touch and I can say that it does not feel cheap to me at all. Sure, if you compare the build quality to an iPad or an iPhone, it will feel "cheap". Anything will feel cheap when compared to an i-device. The Kindle touch is an amazing device and easy to use. The eInk display is amazing, and so much easier to read than any iOS device or computer screen.

If you're not entirely sure if you want to invest in a Kindle, go to your local electronics store and take one for a test drive.

9. N10248 macrumors 6502a

N10248

10. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

One thing I thought was a really good deal was the unlimited permanent 3G if you buy the $150 version of the Kindle touch. So you could browse the net while on the go, I think that is very nice function. Does it allow bluetooth too? because then you can use a bluetooth keyboard to type too which would be really nice and one could interact on forums while on a long ride.

11. 0000757 macrumors 68040

I would advise either a Kindle Keyboard or Simple Kindle, or even a Kindle Fire I have a Kindle Keyboard (Non-3G) and it's a really lovely device. Very nice. My friend has the Simple Kindle and the lack of keyboard actually makes it for a very compact Kindle to take around. The Kindle Fire is great for reading books. The Kindle Touch is too awkward and weird to use.

12. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

I decided to get a regular Kindle over a Kindle Touch for one important reason: touching the screen of an e-ink reader means constantly cleaning off fingerprints. The primary purpose of the device (only purpose for me) is to read books, therefore, I don't really need the touch function, it only serves to dirty the screen in my opinion.

I've found the Kindle to be quality made, not cheap feeling at all, and reading on the Kindle's e-ink screen is superb. Not to mention it's easier to find cases and such for the more popular Kindle, and Amazon support is second to none.

And I'll echo the Calibre recommendation.

13. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

The web browser on the kindle touch is very slow and almost unusable, I wouldn't recommend using it as a means to surf online sites. Keep in mind every time you click a new link, the eInk display has to refresh. It's hard to explain. The kindle touch is in no way a web surfing device.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I've used the internet on my Kindle Keyboard once or twice. It is such a painful experience that it just isn't worth it.

15. moviebiz macrumors member

I like my Kindle Touch. I use it for both reading text books and recreational reading. One thing that bothers me about the Kindle Touch is that it doesn't support reading in landscape mode. The build quality of the Kindle Touch doesn't feel cheap to me and the touch functionality is quite responsive.

16. phillytim macrumors 65816

phillytim

Love my Kindle Touch; best choice I've made. Anyone who complains about the build quality or fingerprints are just trying to supress their desire for it.

Only thing I'd like different would be if the screen lit up like the new Nook SimpleTouch GlowLight.

17. knucklehead macrumors 6502a

This.

I do wish I had gotten the 3G just for the convenient sync and purchases. Once you get away from your home Wi-Fi, it becomes difficult to impossible join public sites that require log in.

18. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

...or they genuinely prefer the non-Touch version for valid reasons. :rolleyes:

19. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I should be getting my Kindle Touch in a few days. It's replacing an iPad I recently sold, and I've been missing the larger screen for reading. I'll give my thoughts when I receive it.