How is the Kingston SSDNow V100?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fugue, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Fugue macrumors 6502

I found a really good deal on it, and I was wondering what the consensus on it is.

Is it reliable? Fast? How much battery does it consume?

I realize it's on the bottom of the SSD spectrum, but I doubt I will notice a difference between a Vertex 3 and this in my usage.

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

If you're referring to the 96 GB for like $100, it's worth it in my opinion. I heard it's a pretty good drive and that deal is outstanding.

3. undeadsole macrumors newbie

I saw a deal on this SSD today as well. $299 for a 256GB, sounds awesome but I'm wondering how well this SSD would play with my 2011 MBP... The reviews for the drive in general aren't that great but the warranty puts me at ease.

4. Fugue thread starter macrumors 6502

That is the one I am referring to. It's one of the cheapest drives on the market, which is why I am a bit wary before buying it. I wonder if OSX supported for firmware updates.

5. undeadsole macrumors newbie

Yea, also the write speeds arent on par with some of the newer stuff but I dont know how much of a difference that would be with stuff like boot times, sleep/wake cycles, openeing apps etc. However, I did find some useful links by searching a bit more http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1134366&highlight=kingston+ssdnow+v100 and http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1107569&highlight=kingston+ssdnow+v100 but I think I'm going to hold off for a bit longer. SSD's will come down in price significantly as they become the new standard. More and more manufacturer's are going to move towards them and drive those prices down. LMK what you decide :cool: