How is the Macbook air screen outside?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Duke15, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Duke15 macrumors 6502

Duke15

Waiting to buy a MBA and was just wondering how the screen is outside on on a sunny day?

2. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

3. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Is it actually anti-glare? I thought it just didn't have the glass over the screen like the MBP?

Or are all screens anti-glare and those that aren't, the glare just comes from, like I said, a piece of glass over the screen? :confused:

4. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

Technically it's glossy, but putting it next to my glossy MBP, it sure doesn't reflect everything.

5. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

AFAIK the MBA screen as a glossy LCD panel with an anti-reflection coating (giving a purple/green hue when viewed off-axis). This is not typically referred to as Anti-glare, but admittedly Apple marketing is not very good at differentiating the terms.

The MBP has an additional plate of glass (/plastic?) in front of an otherwise identical panel (giving 3 glass/air interfaces), which seems to be untreated and is dreadful regarding reflections IMO.

The MBP15/17 have the option of a matte screen, with no extra glass panel infront. The matte screen does not appear to have a anti-reflection coating, but due to the nature of the diffusion of reflections, it's much less noticable than the specular reflections of glossy screen.

The MBA screen sits in-between the readibility of the standard (glossy) MBP and the 'AG' (matte option) MBP. In all cases max. screen brightness is the main requirement in order to obtain sufficient contrast for the eye to be able to discern the screen display. YMMV

6. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

My hi-res anti-glare MBP is arriving today, so I'll put it next to my wife's MBA and my glossy MBP and see how great the differences are.

7. Duke15 thread starter macrumors 6502

Duke15

Good to know thanks

Awesome, looking forward to the results!

8. CincinattiJohn macrumors newbie

Can you take some pictures?

9. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I wouldn't say it's anti-glare. You cannot see the screen outside if there's any moderate sunlight. Heck, I have issues from the the window behind me! Any glass screen will have glare issues unless you place a matte cover over it.

10. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

Here are photos of the 2011 hi-res anti-glare 15" MBP, 2011 standard glossy 15" MBP and 2010 standard 13" MacBook Air.

[​IMG]

Anti-glare on left and glossy on right
    [​IMG]

Glossy on left and MBA on right
    [​IMG]

Anti-glossy on left and Air on right
    [​IMG]

Excuse the quality of the photos since I took them quickly. All the machines were set to high brightness.

You will noticed that you can see that the glossy will show my reflection. The anti-glossy display is pretty much identical to the MacBook Air display.

11. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

the anti-glare screen doesn't have the black bezel? so theres no glass layer on top or what?

12. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

The anti-glare does not have the black bezel and there is no glass on top.

13. Duke15 thread starter macrumors 6502

Duke15

Awesome thanks for the pictures, that's probably the best response I could have asked for, was it really sunny outside or overcast?

14. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

Is it just me, or does the glossy screen's color seem better than the matte?

15. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

The glossy screen will always make the colors more vibrant.

16. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Um. the pictures appear to be taken indoors. note the wood floors and wall outlet.

17. shuf macrumors newbie

Can someone with a macbook air show us a demo of how it looks outside in sunlight? There is hardly a point of getting anti-glare if you are always inside. The only reason I am getting a laptop is to work outside.

18. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

All MacBook Airs are glossy.

19. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Is this true? The resolutions on the MBP and MBA are different and I recall reading in the Anand review that the Airs had a cheaper panel than the Pros did.

20. shuf macrumors newbie

I didn't word that correctly. I was just saying that glossy would not matter if I lived in a cave. :)

Still looking for an outside sunlight demo.

21. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

Okay. There's plenty of sun in Dallas. I just have to remember to take a photo. :D

22. EthanMiller macrumors member

I can't get a photo at the moment, but I use mine (13) outside all the time. As long as you stick to a shady spot, it's fine, even with the brightness turned down. In direct sunlight, it's usable as long as the brightness is all the way up, but I wouldn't want to watch videos on it. Also, the battery drains faster in the sun (due to higher brightness).

23. Asmod4n macrumors member

Was in the garden with it for a couple of hours today, the sun was shining for the first time in weeks, was a breeze to look at the screen :)

I however, was never able to use a Matte display outside, you simply can't see anything on them. (iBook, PowerBook)

24. nefa macrumors member

I sat in the garden today with my new 13" - at 100% brightness it's no problem at all, with less it gets a bit hard to see something.