How is the magic mouse for gaming?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jon H, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Jon H macrumors newbie

I'm looking for a wireless mouse and naturally this one came to mind. Is it easy to distinguish between left and right clicks? I'm not playing in a competitive environment (D3 and GW2, both PvE for me) so I don't need that wired connection.

2. uhslax24 macrumors 6502

uhslax24

I would definitely not recommend the magic mouse for gaming -- It's not made well to quickly distinguish between right and left clicks :confused:

3. jedolley macrumors 68000

Gaming with the magic mouse would come down to being a personal preference. I'm not a hard core gamer, and for me it did not work out for the following reasons:

Size/Shape - It's not the most ergo-friendly mouse and I have above-average size hands. IMO it's not a comfortable mouse to constantly hold for gaming sessions.

Tracking/Sensitivity - I don't play FPS games much. Mostly RPGs and sometimes a MMO. The Magic Mouse doesn't have a high DPI and feels kind of sluggish when trying to move with it.

Lack of buttons - I don't need one of those crazy MMO mice, but I do like to have a few extra buttons for binding of other actions. Most common for me is binding a mouse button for PTT in Vent.

Personally, I like Razer mice. It's not because of the look or the brand, but the fact that Razer supports the Mac on all its mice, or at least all the ones released in the last several years. Logitech used to be my choice when I used a PC, but they don't support the Mac on ANY of their gaming mice, so I dumped them.

In the end only you can make the decision on what works. IMO the Magic Mouse is a great mouse, but I just don't think it was designed to be held in your hand for long periods of time. Which is something you would do while gaming.

4. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

I've used a Magic Mouse for minecraft, TF2, WoW and Eve without any issues. I recommend that you install the app MagicPrefs though. That way you can customize the magic mouse a little more.

5. JayMBP macrumors regular

While it's certainly possible to game with the magic mouse, when you try it side-by-side with a gaming mouse like Razer or RAT, you'd find that gaming with the magic mouse is wrong on so many levels. :p